UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

warning : debug core was not detected

hi all,

i am trying an example design of memory interface generator. to view the signals i added an ila core also to my design. but when I programmed the device it is showing the warning :

WARNING: [Labtools 27-3123] The debug hub core was not detected at User Scan Chain 1 or 3.
Resolution:
1. Make sure the clock connected to the debug hub (dbg_hub) core is a free running clock and is active OR
2. Manually launch hw_server with -e "set xsdb-user-bscan <C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN scan_chain_number>" to detect the debug hub at User Scan Chain of 2 or 4. To determine the user scan chain setting, open the implemented design and use: get_property C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN [get_debug_cores dbg_hub].
WARNING: [Labtools 27-1974] Mismatch between the design programmed into the device xc7z020_1 and the probes file /home/divya/Desktop/GPS_IMU_2014_229/RDP_FIXED/project_dbg/project_dbg.runs/impl_3/debug_nets.ltx.
The device design has 0 ILA core(s) and 0 VIO core(s). The probes file has 1 ILA core(s) and 0 VIO core(s).
Resolution:
1. Reprogram device with the correct programming file and associated probes file OR
2. Goto device properties and associate the correct probes file with the programming file already programmed in the device.

i tried the steps in https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/64764.html. 

1. free running clock: i am having two differential clocks(sys_clk and ref_clk) and ui_clk. first two clocks are not chip-scope debuggable. so i was using the last one.

2. change the C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN property : not worked

what i can do for this? i hope it is the problem with clock. what do you mean by a free running clock?

please reply.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Reshma

ila_mig.png
0 Kudos
26 Replies

Re: warning : debug core was not detected

Hi @reshmaakhil,

This following are possible fixes for this error:

- Ensure that the .bit file and the .ltx file assigned to this device match each other.

- Ensure that the capture clock to the ILA is a free running clock

- Ensure that timing requirement has been met after inserting Debug cores.

- The error can be caused by a Signal Integrity issue on the board.
- A case was found where the issue was caused by a bad USB Cable.

- In one case creating a new project resolved the error.

Thanks & Regards,
Prathik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search for documents/answer records related to your device and tool before posting query on forums.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helps to resolve your query.
Helpful answer -> Give Kudos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

@reshmaakhil,

If the clock connected to dbg_hub is not free running then you will get this warning. One thing you can try is try to connect the clock of dbg_hub to a free running clock(e.g; sys_clk) on FPGA. Check if it resolves your issues. If it doesn't resolve your issue then open implemented design and check the following command:

get_property C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN [get_debug_cores dbg_hub] in Tcl console.

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

hi,
i already tried with sys_clk, but it is not chipscope debuggable.
regards,
Reshma
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Is there any solution/conclusion for this?

My debug core comes and go when i change the probe signals. 

Hardwaer manager won't recognize the cores in some of the bit files.

Its so wierd and annoying. I've tried many thing but still can't figureout what i'm doing wrong. 

The clock apparently runs (I can see my LED blinks at the desired frequency).

It SEEMS ... to have issue when my probes are too big. 

I'm using 17.1

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi @lieumychuong,

Are there any timing violations in the design specific to probe when it's not detected?

Which board you are using?

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

No there's no timing violation. 

I see the tool creates another clock which comes from TCK pin of a BSCANE2 block and that is 50MHz clock. 

This clock meets timing as well. All of my clocks meet timing.

I'm using the ZCU102 board. 

My system setup: 

- CLK_125_IN  --> PLL --> Generate 150M and 25M, are these "free-run" enough? 

I use HW manager to download bit file the board.

The PLL should never get into reset state except very first few micro second during start up. My LED that uses 25MHz clock blinks @ 1Hz as designed. Refreshing the hub doesn't help once it doesn't recognized during startup.

- ILA 128 bit wide

- VIO 64 bit wide

I've tried manythings:

- Use 25M for all the ILA/VIO clocks  --> the system picks the 25M clock for dbg_hub, i see that in the check point

- Use 150M for all the ILA/VIO clocks

- Reduce the JTAG debug frequency (when doing open_hw_target) to 1MHz. 

- Once when I removed the ILA core, then the HW manager recognized the VIO probes. 

So far, I don't see a clear pattern of when it works and when it doesn't work.

Some understanding of how the dbg_hub works may help. 

In my last try last night, i'm forcing the tool to use the clk 125M directly from the PIN, not going to the PLL. I havent seen failure yet. 

But I can't conclude anything since the core comes and goes as it wishes. 

I'll update my progress. But do let me know if you think I'm missing something.

I think this is serious issue because it slowed me down significantly and it's kind of deadend when the debug module itself is stuck.

Thanks for replying. 

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

No, It still doesn't work. 

I was able to build and debug about 5 times, then now it fails. HW Manager can't detect any Debug core. 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

hi @lieumychuong,

check the clock domain selected for the debug signals. if it is slow clock ILA core will not detect in hardware manager.

regards,

Reshma

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

@reshmaakhil

How slow is slow? Is there a requirement? 

I'm using 125M for my debug hub and ILA clock is 300MHz currenlty

But I've tried before, with all of them (dbg/ila/vio) @ 25MHz, and 150M

Both flaky.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

hi @lieumychuong,

can you just attach screenshot of hardware manager with error/warning message.

regards,

Reshma

0 Kudos

Hi @lieumychuong,

JTAG clock should be half or less than half of ILA frequency.

So for 25MHz clock it should be <= 12.5MHz.

If you are using PLL how are taking care of reset signal of PLL?

Can you try refresh_hw_device also and see if debug hub is detected?

Thanks,
Arpan
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

hi all,

i forgot to mention that point,
sometimes refreshing the device also worked in my case.

Regards,
Reshma
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi, 

Thanks for helping. Really appreciate your help.

I can't capture screenshot as it works again after I recompile with source code changes.

But this is the error from log file

NFO: [Labtoolstcl 44-466] Opening hw_target localhost:3121/xilinx_tcf/Digilent/210308A11F56
current_hw_device [get_hw_devices xczu9_0]
refresh_hw_device -update_hw_probes false [lindex [get_hw_devices xczu9_0] 0]
INFO: [Labtools 27-1434] Device xczu9 (JTAG device index = 0) is programmed with a design that has no supported debug core(s) in it.
WARNING: [Labtools 27-3361] The debug hub core was not detected.
Resolution:
1. Make sure the clock connected to the debug hub (dbg_hub) core is a free running clock and is active.
2. Make sure the BSCAN_SWITCH_USER_MASK device property in Vivado Hardware Manager reflects the user scan chain setting in the design and refresh the device. To determine the user scan chain setting in the design, open the implemented design and use 'get_property C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]'.
For more details on setting the scan chain property, consult the Vivado Debug and Programming User Guide (UG908).
current_hw_device [get_hw_devices arm_dap_1]
refresh_hw_device -update_hw_probes false [lindex [get_hw_devices arm_dap_1] 0]
current_hw_device [get_hw_devices xczu9_0]
refresh_hw_device [lindex [get_hw_devices xczu9_0] 0]
INFO: [Labtools 27-1434] Device xczu9 (JTAG device index = 0) is programmed with a design that has no supported debug core(s) in it.
WARNING: [Labtools 27-3361] The debug hub core was not detected.
Resolution:
1. Make sure the clock connected to the debug hub (dbg_hub) core is a free running clock and is active.
2. Make sure the BSCAN_SWITCH_USER_MASK device property in Vivado Hardware Manager reflects the user scan chain setting in the design and refresh the device. To determine the user scan chain setting in the design, open the implemented design and use 'get_property C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]'.
For more details on setting the scan chain property, consult the Vivado Debug and Programming User Guide (UG908).

Both the C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN = 1 and the BSCAN_SWITCH_USER_MASK = "0001"

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Refresh doesn't seem to work for me. 

The JTAG clock is always 5MHz

JTAG_Speed5MHz.png

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I don't do any reset to the PLL. reset tied to GND.
But it failed to detect the DBG_hub even in the case when I use the clock directly from pin. 

My ILA_CLK is from the GT and it may stop. But this is unavoidable for debugging. The ILA_CLK needs to be in the signal domain. 

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

@reshmaakhil wrote:
hi all,

i forgot to mention that point,
sometimes refreshing the device also worked in my case.

Regards,
Reshma

I don't like this "sometimes" ... how often you get it working/not working? 

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

if you created a debug core with proper capture clocks but unable to see it in the hardware manager right after programming refreshing the device will work.
if refreshing is not working i will change the clock domain for my projects.
0 Kudos

Hi @lieumychuong,

If you don't use a free running clock then dbg_hub may not be detected.

Thanks,
Arpan

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I'm very very extremely sure that the clock is free-run

clock_straight_from_pin.png

0 Kudos
Visitor jpleiker
Visitor

Have you made any progress on this? I have the exact same problem, though my clock is a PS->PL clock (using a ZCU102 board) running to a clocking wizard with reset tied low. I am 100% sure the launch clock on the debug hub is present, as it is 1 out of 3 clocks coming from the clocking wizard, and the other two are confirmed running (via the software application running on the Zynq).
0 Kudos
Visitor jpleiker
Visitor

More information about my issue and debug steps before I'm linked to the same answer posts.

1) Bit file is confirmed to be correct. I've reloaded it many, many times with no change.
2) Capture clock is not 'free running' but I always load and kick off the Zynq PS prior to launching HW Manager. Refreshing device does not work no matter how many times I click.
3) There are no timing issues.
4) JTAG frequency is 10MHz, ILA and PL clock is 200MHz (from clocking wizard), dbg_hub clock is 400 MHz (from clocking wizard), and the clock from the PS driving the clocking wizard is 200MHz.
5) This has occasionally worked well in the past, minimal un-related changes to design have brought me towards the not-working-HW manager.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

hi,

can you change the clock domain as shown in the attached image and check/

regards,

Reshma

sel-clk-dmain.png
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

"This has occasionally worked well in the past, minimal un-related changes to design have brought me towards the not-working-HW manager."

I'm having exactly same issue.

I have not made any progress and still living on the mercy of Vivado. 

If it's happy, it detects the core and then I can work. Else, I have to change something just something then pray!

I didn't expect this for the so called state-of-the-art "UltraScale".

My local support is not around. I've filed service request but no answer. Uploaded dcp and bit files to them already. 

I'll update if I have any news. 

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I miss Chipscope. Why trying to be smart and insert the debug hub and pick up the clock behind my back? :-s creating all the troubles.
Don't like!
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I have tried the following. But I can't tell whether I'm lucky or it actually works.
In your build flow, purposely force it to use BSCAN2

set_property C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN 2 [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]

Then in hw manager change your BSCAN_SWITCH_USER_MASK to 0010
... Again I don't know if this is luck or a reliable work around.
I haven't recompiled many times

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

The local support gave me a new ZCU102 board with Production silicon on it and THAT fixes the problem. 

Case closed. Weird issue with ES1 device.