UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor sandeepdarar
Visitor

what is debugging???

I know this question is very general...but i really need to know what is  debugging...My teacher is gonna give us test..pls help me

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Re: what is debugging???

From dictionary.com:

1. to detect and remove defects or errors from.
  2. to remove electronic bugs from (a room or building).
  3. Computers. to detect and remove errors from (a computer program).
  4. to rid (a garden, plant, etc.) of insect pests, as by the application of a pesticide.

debugging definition

programming
The process of attempting to determine the cause of the symptoms of malfunctions in a program or other system. These symptoms may be detected during testing or use by real users.
Symptoms are often caused by factors outside the program, such as misconfiguration of the user's operating system, misunderstanding by the user (see PEBCAK) or failures in other external systems on which the program relies. Some of these are more in the realm of technical support but need to be eliminated. Debugging really starts when it has been established that the program is not behaving according to its specification (which may be formal or informal). It can be done by visual inspection of the source code, debugging by printf or using a debugger. The result may be that the program is actually behaving as specified but that the spec is wrong or the requirements on which it was based were deficient in some way (see BAD).
Once a bug has been identified and a fix applied, the program must be tested to determine whether the bug is really fixed and what effects the changes have had on other aspects of the program's operation (see regression testing).
The term is said to have been coined by Grace Hopper, based on the term "bug".
(2006-11-27)

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Sometimes a picture is worh a thousand words...

(sorry, but I couldn't resist plugging my classmate's book)

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
Historian
Historian

@sandeepdarar wrote:

I know this question is very general...but i really need to know what is  debugging...My teacher is gonna give us test..pls help me

It means you need to choose a different major.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Sometimes a picture is worh a thousand words...

Indeed.  And sometimes you can have fun with dead bugs...

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos