UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

2017.3 giving different results than 2017.2, despite no changes

The 2017.3 UG902 states "10/04/2017: Released with Vivado® Design Suite 2017.3 without changes from 2017.1.". I find this hard to believe. For this comparison, I am using the exact same sourcefiles, project and solution (including part) settings.

Using 2017.3, I get a lot slower result when synthesizing my function. The timing result is really bad on 2017.3 (13.47ns, vs 5.86 on 2017.2), and I get a load of warnings that 2017.2 didn't give. Like multiple warnings of this kind:

WARNING: [SYN 201-303] Root Node <x> mapped to expression {mul a b}, but failed in bitwidth check.

(What does this warning mean anyway?)

The failing path is also different, meaning 2017.3 probably chose a different way.

Now, I am thinking if any timing file changes could cause this bad result, but even if I relax the timing requirement from 6ns to 10ns, it is not able to find a solution. If a timing change cause this, it must have been really bad on 2017.2.

Also, I am asking myself if the 2017.2 version is safe to use?

I don't want to post my function here, but rather ask if there is something obvious I should check or add to my code.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: 2017.3 giving different results than 2017.2, despite no changes

Hi @cyviz,

The user guide (UG902) has not changed. This does not mean that the tool has not changed.

The UG973 gives a little more information about the changes but not all are documented.

Between versions, fixed are provided and there are enhancements to try to give better results...

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks florentw

I did open UG973 and searched for HLS, but apparently I have to search for "high level synthesis" to get there.

It says:

• Enhancements to the math.h library.

° Added functions for complete coverage.

° New native optimized support for half-precision floating point.

• Dataflow pragma supports loops with variable bounds.

• User assistance functionality enabled in co-simulation for ease of use.

I guess I got unlucky. I will stick to 2017.2 for now.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Maybe I should keep this thread going. Here is a very pecuilar feedback from the synth process:

WARNING: [SCHED 204-70] Unable to enforce a clock period constraint between 'select' operation ('sel_tmp44', <myfunction>.cpp:289) and 'br' operation.
In llvm assembly, the node are:

Note, the empty line and the dot is exact copy from my output. (The function path and name has been hidden)

This does look like a bug in 2017.3? This 'sel_tmp44' is at the start of the very bad path reported.

0 Kudos

Hi @cyviz,

There is not enough information to say if it is a tool issue or not...

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos