UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor fkautz
Visitor

AXI Master bundle / parallelization

Jump to solution

Hey, 

I guess following question will be easy for you guys to answer.

If I implement two AXI master ports in my HLS core which both are supposed to read data from the memory and I do not bundle them, I get 2 times all 45 RTL ports so 2 independent interfaces which can be connected to an interconnect separately.

So in my opinion it should be possible  that theoretically both copy processes could run in parallel.

If I now bundle those two AXI master, which is very common, to one interface I will logically only get 45 ports or one interface which can be connected to an interconnect. So that in my opinion copy processes are forced to be serialized.

Why is it common to bundle those interfaces? Just because most memories used are single ported anyway? Or do I have some serious problems in understanding what is happening?

Thanks!

BR

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: AXI Master bundle / parallelization

Jump to solution

@fkautz That's correct. Obviously there are some scenarios where keeping it parallel makes sense (eg. the ZC706 and ZCU102 have two totally separate RAM banks, or one AXI Master can access something other than RAM) but most of the time combining them makes sense.

I've also had cases where I needed a "high-performance" AXI Master (doing 64-bit or 128-bit read/write burst transactions) and a separate "low-performance" AXI Master doing non-burst 32-bit transactions. HLS won't bundle AXI Masters with different bit widths.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Scholar jprice
Scholar

Jump to solution

There are probably several reasons. The first that comes to mind is that it's expensive. Having extra interfaces in the HLS code and your interconnect consumes resources you may not want. The second reason is that if both ports are accessing the same memory, there's not a lot of point to serialization (there are exceptions like QDR where you can read/write at the same time). 

Highlighted
Visitor fkautz
Visitor

Jump to solution

So if I am interpreting everything right ( and I guess you meant parallelization instead of serialization) it is like I said? The serialization forced by the single interface is no problem becaus all the memory access is serialized by  single port memory anyway?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

@fkautz That's correct. Obviously there are some scenarios where keeping it parallel makes sense (eg. the ZC706 and ZCU102 have two totally separate RAM banks, or one AXI Master can access something other than RAM) but most of the time combining them makes sense.

I've also had cases where I needed a "high-performance" AXI Master (doing 64-bit or 128-bit read/write burst transactions) and a separate "low-performance" AXI Master doing non-burst 32-bit transactions. HLS won't bundle AXI Masters with different bit widths.

View solution in original post

Visitor fkautz
Visitor

Jump to solution

@u4223374 thank you for the clarification! 

0 Kudos