cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexmontgomerie
Participant
Participant

BRAM usage large for FIFO

I have noticed that when instantiating a BRAM FIFO, the BRAM usage can be a lot larger than expected. In the below synthesis report, we can see that although the size suggests the need for 5 BRAM18k, it is instead using 8. Is there something I'm missing? And is there any way to get the resources down to a more reasonable amount?

Thanks, 

Alex

* FIFO: 
    +----------------------------+---------+----+----+-----+------+-----+---------+
    |            Name            | BRAM_18K| FF | LUT| URAM| Depth| Bits| Size:D*B|
    +----------------------------+---------+----+----+-----+------+-----+---------+
    |line_buffer_0_V_V_fifo_U    |        8|  92|   0|    -|  5491|   16|    87856|
    |line_buffer_1_V_V_fifo_U    |        8|  92|   0|    -|  5491|   16|    87856|
    |line_buffer_2_V_V_fifo_U    |        8|  92|   0|    -|  5491|   16|    87856|
    |line_buffer_3_V_V_fifo_U    |        8|  92|   0|    -|  5491|   16|    87856|
    |line_buffer_4_V_V_fifo_U    |        8|  92|   0|    -|  5491|   16|    87856|
    |line_buffer_5_V_V_fifo_U    |        8|  92|   0|    -|  5491|   16|    87856|
    |line_buffer_6_V_V_fifo_U    |        8|  92|   0|    -|  5491|   16|    87856|
    |line_buffer_7_V_V_fifo_U    |        8|  92|   0|    -|  5491|   16|    87856|

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rsarkari
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @alexmontgomerie ,

Could you please share more details as which report is this? Vivado Synthesis or C Synthesis. 

Also, could you please share the code snippet using this buffer or the Vivado synthesis detailed utilization report for this module?

Regards,
Rajat
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note - Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if the information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post that you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

alexmontgomerie
Participant
Participant

Hi Rajat,

Thanks for getting back to me. This is a C Synthesis report. The HLS code is as follows: 

hls::stream<ap_fixed<16,8,AP_RND,AP_SAT>> line_buffer[8];
    #pragma HLS STREAM variable=line_buffer depth=5491
    #pragma HLS ARRAY_PARTITION variable=line_buffer complete dim=0
    #pragma HLS resource variable=line_buffer core=FIFO_BRAM

from my understanding, this should consume 5 BRAM for each fifo, as 5491*16/18000 rounds to 5. 

Best,

Alex

0 Kudos
rsarkari
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @alexmontgomerie ,

An 18 Kb block RAM can be configured with independent port widths for each of those ports as 16K x 1, 8K x 2, 4K x 4, 2K x 9 or 1K x 18 (when used as TDP memory). If only one write and one read port are used, an 18 Kb block RAM can additionally be configured with a port width of 512 x 36 bits (when used as SDP memory). Kindly refer the below documentation:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug573-ultrascale-memory-resources.pdf 

Based on the above info, 16*1 BRAMs will be inferred.

5491/1024 = 5.4 ~ 6 BRAMS

1 decoder logic; totaling to 7 BRAMs. Could you please run VIVADO Synthesis and share the resource numbers for this streaming FIFO along with the platform name?

Regards,
Rajat
Kindly note - Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if the information provided is helpful.

rsarkari
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

With Vitis 2020.2 released, the above calculations are proved and the results can be seen below.

rsarkari_0-1622114467413.png

Regards,
Rajat

frederic
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Vivado RTL synthesis ultimately decides how to tech map these RTL RAMs of 5491x16-bit.

It looks at the address and sees it can be directly covered by 8k which leaves you with 4-bit of data and since you need 16-bit you get 4 of these BRAMs...

By default it won't give you the 2k by 16-bit in 3 BRAMs as it won't be as good for performance and logic utilization.

alexmontgomerie
Participant
Participant

Hi both, 

Thank you for getting back to me. The resource report given in my first post was done for Vivado HLS 2019.1, I tried for 2020.1 also, but got the same results. I have attached the FIFO that Vivado HLS generates. I also suspected that it chose the BRAM based on the fact that it requires an 8K address bus, even if all of that space isn't used.

Is there a model available of the BRAM usage for Vivado HLS that tells us what it is basing it's estimates on?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos