UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor esi2st
Visitor

Burst access with longer data types vs shorter data types

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am doing a project where I am reading and writing to DRAM (MIG) through a master axi interface. My data types are 16 bits wide. I am using a wide bus interface (128 bits wide)

My question is: Is the bus width efficiently utilized for a high burst access (128bit x 256 read/write) or is it confined by my data type (16bits x 256 read/write) if I use memcpy to copy 256x(128/16) values (corresponding to 128 bits x 256 read/write) from my data buffer? or do I have to pack up my data in 128 bit ap_uint types?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Burst access with longer data types vs shorter data types

Jump to solution

Hello @esi2st,

Unfortunately, with HLS, you have to have the ports match what you would be connecting to. In this case, the 128-bit interface to the MIG/DDR IP. So yes, you would have to concatenate the 8 16-bit words into the single 128-bit interface. Else, as you mentioned, the efficiency of interface would be low with only 16 bits being used. 

OK, hope this helps,
Scott 

1 Reply

Re: Burst access with longer data types vs shorter data types

Jump to solution

Hello @esi2st,

Unfortunately, with HLS, you have to have the ports match what you would be connecting to. In this case, the 128-bit interface to the MIG/DDR IP. So yes, you would have to concatenate the 8 16-bit words into the single 128-bit interface. Else, as you mentioned, the efficiency of interface would be low with only 16 bits being used. 

OK, hope this helps,
Scott