UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor allenn
Visitor

Does Viavado HLS support synthesis of gmp library(The GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library)

I have problems when I use vivado HLS to synthesize the C code, In the code I use gmp library function. There are many errors in synthesizing these gmp library funciton, because the unsynthesized type error. I want to now does vivado HLS have an supporting on the gmp library? Thankyou.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Does Viavado HLS support synthesis of gmp library(The GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library)

a,

Supporting any c code library functions is not the intent of HLS, as you have discovered.  Rather it is a tool to quickly create and optimize a solution to a single task.  Collecting individual converted blocks together remains the task of Vivado, at the RTL level.

Generally speaking, arithmetic libraries optimized for the FPGA device fabric already exist in the RTL IP core libraries.  One approach is to debug your c code using the gmp, replacing these functions with RTL blocks from the IP cores library.

HLS is a great new tool.  But, it isn't the best tool for every job just yet.  It took more than 30 years to get even this far ("c to gates" has been a dream for a long long time).

(Happy New Year)

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor allenn
Visitor

Re: Does Viavado HLS support synthesis of gmp library(The GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library)

Austin:

Thank you for your reply.Another question, does Xilinx has the IP core of gmp library functions. Maybe gmp library is not applied extensively in FPGA developer. If exist, could you give me some information about this.

Happy new year, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

HLS doesn't support GMP directly. It has its own variable-precision integer and fixed-point libraries, but the range of supported functions is far more limited than what GMP provides.

0 Kudos
Visitor allenn
Visitor

Voyager, thanks for your reply. I know this library HLS support, but it is not suitable for my application. 

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Unfortunately I think you're out of luck. You can probably rewrite most of the GMP functions fairly easily in HLS, but they won't be particularly efficient in terms of speed or resource usage.

0 Kudos
Visitor allenn
Visitor

yeah, HLS tools give us convenience but you know ...maybe the optimization could do this better.

0 Kudos