Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

[HLS] How to create assertions for Synthesis

Jump to solution

Hi all, 

I was wondering how can I create an assertion for synthesis in HLS. So far I've been able to create them for csim, however it's ignored in synthesis.

I guess is based in the fact that you should run your csim prior synthesizing, but I would like to know if there is any option to imply these checks for synthesis as well. In my project, I generate the HLS IP Core based on scripting, and some internal numerical approximations are only valid for specific values of #defines in a header file. I would like to check if those have been changed without requiring a new long simulation.

This is how I'm implementing them so far for CSIM:

assert (INP_ROWS==1072 && INP_COLS==1928); // IMP_ROWS, INP_COLS are #defines in .h

Any ideas? If so, is there any way to throw an error message on them?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm, using Vivado HLS 2019.1.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructor
Instructor

@domitilo 

If you are only trying to validate constant values from a configuration header file, then yes... you may be in luck... using the preprocessor you can test the values of the defines, then use #error to abort the compilation/synthesis.

e.g.

#if INP_ROWS!=1072

#error "some message"

#endif

Hope that Helps
If so, Please mark as solution accepted. Kudos also welcomed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

@domitilo 

In the synthesized hardware, you would not 'throw an error' per se... but if you want to generate some monitor/debug in the hardware itself, you could generate an 'output'  that is triggered when a condition is true or false... giving you the ability to see what is happening on your synthesized hardware.

Hope that Helps

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor
Hi,
Thanks for answering.
Sorry, probably I didn't explain myself properly, what I meant is if there is any way to make these check on synthesis time, but not to be implemented in hardware.
Just the way that if INP_ROWS != 1072 the synthesis tool throws an error and stop synthesis, as it does the simulation tool when doing the assert.
I would like to implement these kind of checks to avoid misconfigurations due to wrong values in .h file.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my first explanation.
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

@domitilo 

If you are only trying to validate constant values from a configuration header file, then yes... you may be in luck... using the preprocessor you can test the values of the defines, then use #error to abort the compilation/synthesis.

e.g.

#if INP_ROWS!=1072

#error "some message"

#endif

Hope that Helps

View solution in original post

Visitor
Visitor
Thanks!, that's what I was looking for, it works perfectly.
0 Kudos