UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer hguerard
Observer

HLS generates an unknown error

Jump to solution

The for-loop in the following code generates an unknow error. Any idea ?

producer0.cpp

#include "producer0.h"
#include <stdint.h>
#define OFFSET_DDR 0x20000000
using sc_core::sc_module;

producer0::producer0(sc_core::sc_module_name name)
:sc_module(name) {
	SC_CTHREAD(thread, clock.pos());
	reset_signal_is(reset, true);
}

void producer0::thread() {
	unsigned long data[16] = { 0 };

while(1) {
		data[0] = 1;
		for(int i=1;i<16;i++)
			data[i] += 1;
		axi_master_0->burst_write(OFFSET_DDR, 16, (int*)data);
	}
}

producer0.h

#ifndef PRODUCER0_H_
#define PRODUCER0_H_

#include "systemc"

using namespace sc_core;
using namespace std;
#include "AXI4_if.h"

class producer0: public sc_core::sc_module {
	public:
		SC_HAS_PROCESS(producer0);

sc_core::sc_in< bool > clock;
		sc_core::sc_in< bool > reset;
		AXI4M_bus_port< int > axi_master_0;

producer0(sc_core::sc_module_name name);

void thread();
};

#endif

The error is the following:

INFO: [SCHED 204-11] Starting scheduling ...
INFO: [SCHED 204-61] Pipelining loop 'memcpy.producer0.axi_master_0.m_if.Val.data.gep'.
INFO: [SCHED 204-61] Pipelining result : Target II = 1, Final II = 1, Depth = 3.
WARNING: [SCHED 204-69] Cannot apply resource constraint between nodes '' and '' due to unknow reason.
WARNING: [SCHED 204-69] Cannot apply resource constraint between nodes '' and '' due to unknow reason.
INFO: [SCHED 204-11] Finished scheduling.
INFO: [HLS 200-111]  Elapsed time: 28.859 seconds; current allocated memory: 95.070 MB.
INFO: [HLS 200-434] Only 1 loops out of a total 3 loops have been pipelined in this design.
INFO: [BIND 205-100] Starting micro-architecture generation ...
INFO: [BIND 205-101] Performing variable lifetime analysis.
INFO: [BIND 205-101] Exploring resource sharing.
ERROR: [BIND 205-201] The memory core 'RAM' has insufficient ports, for array 'data' in function 'producer0::thread'

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: HLS generates an unknown error

Jump to solution

HI @hguerard ,

Yes, I was able to look into it. But somehow I missed to share my observations.

It seems the RAM error was occurring due to the while loop {while (1)}, changing the while loop to use for loop {for ( ; ; )} resolves the error and synthesizes the design without any errors.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @hguerard ,

Can you please share the directives which you are using for the above code ?

0 Kudos
Observer hguerard
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @shameera,

There is no directive.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

threads? HLS? could you explain how you plan to use threads in hardware?

0 Kudos
Observer hguerard
Observer

Jump to solution

This is only the method name. It is not a std::thread nor a posix thread. On the other hand, this is a SystemC module with a SC_CTHREAD which is supported by Vivado HLS. Read page 354 of UG902.

Jump to solution

Hi @hguerard ,

Can you please share the producer0.h file ?

0 Kudos
Observer hguerard
Observer

Jump to solution
@shameera, I have update the initial post to include the producer0.h file
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@hguerard 

This:

INFO: [SCHED 204-61] Pipelining result : Target II = 1, Final II = 1, Depth = 3
ERROR: [BIND 205-201] The memory core 'RAM' has insufficient ports, for array 'data' in function 'producer0::thread'

makes me think you are asking the synthesis to do more things in parallel than possible with a dual(?) port RAM buffer.

0 Kudos
Observer hguerard
Observer

Jump to solution

I did not instruct HLS to pipeline the for-loop. It is doing this by his own means. The config_compile command does not specify to automatically pipeline for-loop.

To feed the discussion, this simplified for-loop (which does not use dual-port RAM) outputs the same log.

data[0] = 0;
		for(int i=1;i<16;i++)
			data[i] = 1;

My end goal is to somehow read a seed and initialize the first element of the array with it as such:

seed = 0; /* somehow read the seed */
		data[0] = seed;
		for(int i=1;i<16;i++)
			data[i] = data[i-1] + 1;

But no matter I iterates over the array, I always stumble over the same warning and error.

To overcome the dual-port problem, I tried to partition the array with #pragma HLS array_partition variable=data complete but the HLS really chokes on it (complains about a json file wrongly generated):

ERROR: [HLS 200-445] Unexpected error generating RTL model: generate_json error: error "not well-formed (invalid token)" at line 46 character 44
"ster_0.m_if.Val.data[ <--Error-- 0]>
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You wrote no directives, you didn't constrain HLS to II=1, but there it is doing it.

And you have SystemC stuff in HLS that is "supported" (I've heard that so many times and then...)

The very first thing I would do is to write that thing in HLS and forget about fancy threads. I bet is not even 100 lines. You may now that piece of advice 'Keep It Simple'

0 Kudos
Observer hguerard
Observer

Jump to solution

My guess is the for-loop being pipelined is somewhere under Xilinx's implementation of the AXI4M_bus_port class.

I pretty sure if I write pure C HLS code, I can get this thing working. However, in our design flow, we use a CAD tool that outputs SystemC module for Vivado HLS.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @hguerard ,

I am getting the below error when trying to synthesize the shared code

INFO: [HLS 200-489] Unrolling loop with tag "__ssdm_reset__"in function 'producer0::thread' completely with a factor of 15.
ERROR: [XFORM 203-801] Interface parameter 'producer0.axi_master_0.m_if.Val' must have the same bitwidth with the local buffer.
ERROR: [HLS 200-70] Pre-synthesis failed.

I tried it in HLS 2019.2 , can you please share the HLS version you are using ?

0 Kudos
Observer hguerard
Observer

Jump to solution

I am using Vivado HLS 2018.3. Note that I have modified the original post to include a zip file that contains all the files.

Below is the TCL script used to create and do the synthesis of the project:

open_project hls_project
add_files producer0.cpp
open_solution "solution1"
set_part {xc7z020clg484-1}
create_clock -period 10.0
set_clock_uncertainty 3.0
config_rtl -reset_level high
csynth_design
exit

0 Kudos
Observer hguerard
Observer

Jump to solution

@shameera did you have the chance to try it with HLS 2018.3 ?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @hguerard ,

I tried in HLS 2018.3 too, but still I see the same error which I had mentioned in my last post.

ERROR: [XFORM 203-801] Interface parameter 'producer0.axi_master_0.m_if.Val' must have the same bitwidth with the local buffer.

Here I have attached the HLS files for your reference. Use the command Vivado_hls -f ./build.tcl for building the project.

0 Kudos
Observer hguerard
Observer

Jump to solution

@shameera I have execute your tcl script but I have a totally different output. The main different is I am running on Windows 10 64-bit and you appear to be running under CentOS.

I have attached the generated Vivado HLS + log under Windows 10 with Vivado HLS 2018.3. What would you suggest from this point ?

0 Kudos
Observer hguerard
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi @shameera,

I run the project under a VM Ubuntu 64 bit and I have the same issue as you noted. To make it work, you have to change the line unsigned long data[16] = { 0 }; for int data[16] = { 0 };

Anyhow, I have added the modified source file with this post.

With this modification, you will be able to reproduce the initial error.

0 Kudos
Observer hguerard
Observer

Jump to solution

@shameera were you able to test this zip file ?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HI @hguerard ,

Yes, I was able to look into it. But somehow I missed to share my observations.

It seems the RAM error was occurring due to the while loop {while (1)}, changing the while loop to use for loop {for ( ; ; )} resolves the error and synthesizes the design without any errors.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Observer hguerard
Observer

Jump to solution
Wow, good finding! Thanks a lot! By any change, do you know if the while(1) error will be corrected in an upcoming version of HLS ?
0 Kudos