UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

HLS resources and latency increase without any sense

Hello,

I am coding a program using double-precision floating-point variables to be implemented in a Zynq. I have resource problems and I am trying to shrink it in order to make it fit in the fabric (precision reduction is not a solution).

The algorithm calculates a Tustin discretization of a doubly-fed induction generator (DFIG), which includes among other operations one 4x4 matrix inversion and two 4x4 matrix multiplications.

I have tested two different 4x4 matrix multiplications in a separate project and the latency, initiation interval and resources usage are the following:

Implementation A:

Latency = 60

Initiation Interval = 61

BRAM = 0 (0% of resources)

DSP48E = 28 (12% of resources)

FF = 2664 (4% of resources)

LUT = 4261 (8% of resources)

Implementation B:

Latency = 80

Initiation Interval = 81

BRAM = 2 (1% of resources)

DSP48E = 14 (6% of resources)

FF = 1151 (1% of resources)

LUT = 1984 (4% of resources)

Then, I just use these matrix multiplications as functions in the whole algorithm.

Regarding the whole program, the resources used using either matrix multiplication version A and B are the following:

Using matrix multiplication version A:

Latency = 382

Initiation Interval = 383

BRAM = 16 (5% of resources)

DSP48E = 300 (136% of resources)

FF = 27279 (25% of resources)

LUT = 43124 (81 % of resources)

Using matrix multiplication version B:

Latency = 391

Initiation Interval = 392

BRAM = 20 (7% of resources)

DSP48E = 314 (142% of resources)

FF = 25100 (23% of resources)

LUT = 41491 (77 % of resources)

It doesn't make much sense, does it? Can somebody tell me why is this happening or how can I reduce the number of DSPs used?

Many thanks,

Cerilet

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: HLS resources and latency increase without any sense

Few quick suggestions to try would be:
a_ Use #pragma HLS INLINE on the matrix-multiplication function in your complete project
b_ Use the ALLOCATION directive on the matrix-multiplication function to limit the number of multiplication operations inorder to encourage Resource sharing. These mul operations usually gets fitted in the DSP.
c_ Use a higher order of binding by setting the config_bind in Solution Configurations
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos