cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yugi_nhc
Visitor
Visitor

How do I convert my incoming 1ULL axi-stream data to fixed-point data so I can do fixed point matrix multiplication

Hi, I am new in HLS. 

I'm implementing a HLS core to do matrix multiplication with fixed-point data. 

The AXI Stream packet size is 64bits unsigned long long, but i want to reduce hardware resource and latency, so i want to change to fixed point data ap_fixed<16,8> to do matrix multiplication in fixed point, and then the result is changed back to 64bits packet size. 

I found someone do it using ap_int as following. 

typedef ap_int<8> in_T;

typedef unsigned long long axi_T;

#define IN _WIDTH (sizeof(in_T)*8)

#define IN_WIDTH_RATIO (8*sizeof(axi_T)/ IN _WIDTH)

in_T  IN[3][3];

//Pop stream IN

for(int i=0; i<3; i++) {

for(int j=0; j<3; j+= IN_WIDTH_RATIO) {

axi_T packet = pop_stream(in_stream[is_idx++]);

UNPACK: for (int w = 0; w < IN_WIDTH_RATIO; w++) {

in_T bits = (packet>>(w* IN _WIDTH));

IN[i][j+w] = *(( in_T *) &bits) & ((1ULL<< IN _WIDTH)-1);

}

}

//Push stream IN

for(int i=0; i<3; i++) {

for(int j=0; j<3; j+= IN_WIDTH_RATIO) {

axi_T packet = 0;

PACK: for (int w = 0; w < IN_WIDTH_RATIO; w++) {

in_T bits = *(( in_T *) &IN[i][j+w]);

packet |= (bits & ((1ULL<< IN_WIDTH)-1))<<(w* IN_WIDTH);

};

in_stream[is_idx++] = push_stream(packet, 0);

}

}

How can I use ap_fixed<16,8>  instead of ap_int<8>? 
Thank you so much 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
chrisz
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @yugi_nhc,

I recommend reviewing the 'Range' function of the Video Processing library of HLS.  Please review page 570 of UG902 (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug902-vivado-high-level-synthesis.pdf).  

It is not recommended to use the 'sizeof' function in this manor, as this will return the size of the storage location, and not the size of the class.

I also recommend adding the PIPELINE (II of 1) directive to the inner-loop, which contains the "pop_stream(in_stream[is_idx++]);"

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Chris  

0 Kudos