UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

How do I get the Ultra96 board to appear in HLS?

Jump to solution

I have an Ultra96 dev board from Avnet…

I have the board files for it, and have installed them in the Vivado/2018.3/data/boards/board_files/

Vivado itself, displays and uses the board files successful as expected.

However, in HLS the board file entries do NOT appear in the list.

Searching the forums for an answer, I saw some old post for a path that no longer exists.

How do I get the Ultra96 board to appear in HLS?

P.S. I also tried dropping them in SDK/data/boards/board_files/ ... but no success there either.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: How do I get the Ultra96 board to appear in HLS?

Jump to solution

Do you need it to? HLS doesn't talk to I/O pins (or at least it shouldn't - it's pretty hopeless for the sort of cycle-accurate timing that FPGAs are generally so good at). Without that, there's not really any need to know the board. Instead you can just tell HLS what chip it is (ZU3EG) and build designs for that.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

Do you need it to? HLS doesn't talk to I/O pins (or at least it shouldn't - it's pretty hopeless for the sort of cycle-accurate timing that FPGAs are generally so good at). Without that, there's not really any need to know the board. Instead you can just tell HLS what chip it is (ZU3EG) and build designs for that.

0 Kudos
Teacher xilinxacct
Teacher

Jump to solution

@u4223374

So, to restate, as a general principle, you are saying... due to its out of context nature, just picking something close in the FPGA family is the standard practice, and don't worry about the specific timings, utilization, etc... (e.g. just don't use the 'board selection' button)

Is it also true, when put into the IP catalog, it will work with not only a design using the same family, but will work with any family of FPGA (assuming it has the required speed/resource profile)?

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

@xilinxacct You should be able to pick the exact FPGA used on the Ultra96. I can't see exactly what model they're using (it's an XCZU3EG in the SBVA484 package, but I can't be sure what speed/temperature grade it is - probably 1C as that's the cheapest). If you have the board you can just get the grade off the chip itself.

This will then have all of the timings and utilization exactly correct. All you miss out on is the pinouts, and that's not a problem because you don't connect anything to pins in HLS anyway.

I'm pretty sure that HLS builds the IP core for a specific family - you can change from (for example) a Zynq 7010 to a Zynq 7020 without touching the IP core, but not to a Zynq UltraScale+.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@u4223374

I'd like to, even if just not have to remember the chip, package, speed and temp version. It helps a bit for those who work on different boards

0 Kudos