UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

How to Reduce LUT utilization in a Vivado HLS design?

Hi,

I need help in reducing the utilization numbers of a design within the confines of HLS (i.e. can't just redo the design in an HDL). I am targeting the KC board.

Could someone please provide a few suggestions as to how I can reduce the LUT utilization.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Re: How to Reduce LUT utilization in a Vivado HLS design?

Hey @thaus_015,

Could someone please provide a few suggestions as to how I can reduce the LUT utilization.

Depending on what causes your LUT utilization, the following might work ...

• Force distributed memory into Block RAM
  • Force operations (add/sub/mul) into DSP Blocks
  • Reduce throughput and increase per cycle delay
  • Prevent loop unrolling

Hope this helps,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for your response. I am new into VIVADO. So can you share any example design.

Because, Its all very new to me

• Force distributed memory into Block RAM
  • Force operations (add/sub/mul) into DSP Blocks
  • Reduce throughput and increase per cycle delay
  • Prevent loop unrolling

Thanks

0 Kudos

@thaus_015

You can use any of Xilinx's example designs provided with HLS, or the design that you are currently working on.

All you need to do is apply RESOURCE directives on the block(be it memory or operations like addition and multiplication)

Refer Table 1-14, 1-15 and 1-16 page 179(onwards) to refer the list of functional, floating-point and storage cores that can be used with the RESOURCE directive: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_3/ug902-vivado-high-level-synthesis.pdf 

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos