cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

How to synthesize a SystemC module (a class declaration)?

Jump to solution

Dear All,

I am trying to make a NAND gate in SystemC  (Vivado 2019.2, Win10) :

SC_MODULE ( nand2_c ) {

sc_in< sc_int<1> > a, b;
	sc_out< sc_int<1> > f;

void nand2_main() {
		f.write( !(a.read() & b.read() ) );
	}

SC_CTOR (nand2_c) {
		SC_METHOD ( nand2_main );
		sensitive << a << b;
	}
};

But this is only a class declaration.

Q1: A testbench can instantiate it into an object,  but how the hack can I synthesize it?  Synthesis is not supposed to rely on testbench files...

Q2: If there were 2 functions, say a NAND and a NEGATE, connected "in series", then what should be set in the "Top Function" textfield?  (Project -> Project Settings ->  Synthesis tab ) ? 

Someone please help!

I am stuck.  Thank you.

Miklos

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@mbence76 

i can answer your second query from UG 902 : 

>>Q2: If there were 2 functions, say a NAND and a NEGATE, connected "in series", then what should be set in the "Top Function" textfield?  (Project -> Project Settings ->  Synthesis tab ) ? 

Check page 23.Note section. https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_2/ug902-vivado-high-level-synthesis.pdf

systemc.PNG

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @mbence76 ,

Please check the below link, might be helpful:

https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/vivado/prod-advantage/rtl-synthesize.html

Thanks,

Raj

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Raj,

that link is only about HSL simulation being much faster than RTL. As for the links, I have gone thru all the tutorials and the info I am looking for appearently skipped my eyes. I cannot believe that anyone can use SystemC without knowing the answer to my question. If you do, please write it down for me. Thank you indeeed.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Dear All,

I cannot believe that in this HLS Forum of Xilinx noone knows how to synthesize a very simple SystemC code (a NAND gate) into an RTL description.

The lack of replies makes me think that I must be in some sort of total misconception with my question.

I have been googling for days now and found out many useful stuff about SystemC, but I still cannot synthesize my code.

It must not be so difficult.

Somebody please help!

Miklos

0 Kudos

@mbence76 

i can answer your second query from UG 902 : 

>>Q2: If there were 2 functions, say a NAND and a NEGATE, connected "in series", then what should be set in the "Top Function" textfield?  (Project -> Project Settings ->  Synthesis tab ) ? 

Check page 23.Note section. https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_2/ug902-vivado-high-level-synthesis.pdf

systemc.PNG

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.

View solution in original post

Explorer
Explorer
Wow, hemangd, thank you very much !! That "IMPORTANT!" section in the above picture also explains my other problem, namely why my .h files appear in my Sources folder: Because I added them.. I found no other way to add them, but now I guess all I have to do is place them in the same (windows) folder as the .cpp files.