UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Installing Digilent Board on Vivado

Jump to solution

I did this tutorial

https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/vivado/board-files?redirect=1

Took the files and put them in the board_files folder but when I make a new project I still don't see them.I restarted Vivado.

Also is the code wrote in C++  better optimized then the one wrote in VHDL?

https://image.prntscr.com/image/zSjgfxEaTCi6M30bRLpCxA.png

https://image.prntscr.com/image/C3Uwfu9ZTDaSerNcQYNpDA.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Re: Installing Digilent Board on Vivado

Jump to solution

@tester11 You are looking in HLS. Look for the menu option in Vivado. You likely have not installed any devices.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@tester11 Make sure you are opening the right version of Vivado. Also, Vivado HLS has a different directory for boards. You have to copy to both. 

C++/VHDL - short answer is, in general no. Most of the times it is actually impossible to write in C++ what is written in VHDL.  But writing VHDL often takes more time than writing C++ so in some cases the HLS compiler does a pretty decent job and you can get away with C++.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks.Do you know how the xml definitions are generated for the  boards? I wanted to add an Arty board and only found the definition of the Zybo but the part ,device and package tags I don't think that match with the ones of an Arty Z7.

<board name="Zybo" display_name="Zybo" family="zynq" part="xc7z010clg400-1"  device="xc7z010" package="clg400" speedgrade="-1" vendor="digilentinc.com" />

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@tester11 Well I have a Zybo and I just installed 2017.4.

I downloaded the (new) definitions from Digilent (https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/vivado/board-files) 

Then unzipped the contents of the board_files folder inside the correct location in Vivado. 

I can see the Digilent boards now.

boardfiles.PNG
boardfiles2.PNG
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I did the same.The second image is from Vivado? I have a different interface and I checked only in  the Vivado HLS

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@tester11 I think the board files are generated manually. 

Also, make sure that you installed the devices you want when you installed Vivado.

Use "Add Design Tools or Devices..." to verify

addtoolsvivado.PNG
0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@tester11 You are right - I cannot see it inside Vivado HLS even though I installed it in Vivado. 

That said, in Vivado HLS you don't need the board file because it only uses the device part.

I usually find the Part number in Vivado (in Project Summary or Create new project) and search for it in the parts list.

vivadoprojectsummary.PNG
vivadoprojectsummary2.PNG
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Seems that I have the basic version of Vivado.

I can't find anything even in the Part tab

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@tester11 You are looking in HLS. Look for the menu option in Vivado. You likely have not installed any devices.

View solution in original post

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I saw them and made the xml for HLS. 

Looks like a rough start for me.

Thanks for your time

0 Kudos
Scholar hbucher
Scholar

Jump to solution

@tester11 I found that doing things non-standard way is a rocky road, even if it looks more correct.

0 Kudos
Visitor chainastole
Visitor

Jump to solution

@ hbucher Why board file is of no use when working with Vivado HLS? I have an original problem similar to this thread problem and duplicated at https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/2068-arty-board-with-vivado-hls/ and https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/High-Level-Synthesis-HLS/Zybo-Board-Files-for-HLS/m-p/1038688#M18596.

If the board file is really of no use, I'll then concentrate on finding the right part for Arty-Z7020 to enter design.

0 Kudos
Visitor chainastole
Visitor

Jump to solution

@hbucher--- Why "... in Vivado HLS you don't need the board file because it only uses the device part"? I am asking because I try implementing some lab in HLS, which I am completely new to. Until now I experimented with RTL entry flow, which do needed board awareness. This was quite logical for me because I tinkered with on-board buttons and LEDs. Would appreciate you explain your statement.

0 Kudos