Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Installing Digilent Board on Vivado

Jump to solution

I did this tutorial

https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/vivado/board-files?redirect=1

Took the files and put them in the board_files folder but when I make a new project I still don't see them.I restarted Vivado.

Also is the code wrote in C++  better optimized then the one wrote in VHDL?

https://image.prntscr.com/image/zSjgfxEaTCi6M30bRLpCxA.png

https://image.prntscr.com/image/C3Uwfu9ZTDaSerNcQYNpDA.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@tester11 You are looking in HLS. Look for the menu option in Vivado. You likely have not installed any devices.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@tester11 Make sure you are opening the right version of Vivado. Also, Vivado HLS has a different directory for boards. You have to copy to both. 

C++/VHDL - short answer is, in general no. Most of the times it is actually impossible to write in C++ what is written in VHDL.  But writing VHDL often takes more time than writing C++ so in some cases the HLS compiler does a pretty decent job and you can get away with C++.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.Do you know how the xml definitions are generated for the  boards? I wanted to add an Arty board and only found the definition of the Zybo but the part ,device and package tags I don't think that match with the ones of an Arty Z7.

<board name="Zybo" display_name="Zybo" family="zynq" part="xc7z010clg400-1"  device="xc7z010" package="clg400" speedgrade="-1" vendor="digilentinc.com" />

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@tester11 Well I have a Zybo and I just installed 2017.4.

I downloaded the (new) definitions from Digilent (https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/vivado/board-files) 

Then unzipped the contents of the board_files folder inside the correct location in Vivado. 

I can see the Digilent boards now.

boardfiles.PNG
boardfiles2.PNG
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I did the same.The second image is from Vivado? I have a different interface and I checked only in  the Vivado HLS

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@tester11 I think the board files are generated manually. 

Also, make sure that you installed the devices you want when you installed Vivado.

Use "Add Design Tools or Devices..." to verify

addtoolsvivado.PNG
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@tester11 You are right - I cannot see it inside Vivado HLS even though I installed it in Vivado. 

That said, in Vivado HLS you don't need the board file because it only uses the device part.

I usually find the Part number in Vivado (in Project Summary or Create new project) and search for it in the parts list.

vivadoprojectsummary.PNG
vivadoprojectsummary2.PNG
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Seems that I have the basic version of Vivado.

I can't find anything even in the Part tab

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@tester11 You are looking in HLS. Look for the menu option in Vivado. You likely have not installed any devices.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I saw them and made the xml for HLS. 

Looks like a rough start for me.

Thanks for your time

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@tester11 I found that doing things non-standard way is a rocky road, even if it looks more correct.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

@ hbucher Why board file is of no use when working with Vivado HLS? I have an original problem similar to this thread problem and duplicated at https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/2068-arty-board-with-vivado-hls/ and https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/High-Level-Synthesis-HLS/Zybo-Board-Files-for-HLS/m-p/1038688#M18596.

If the board file is really of no use, I'll then concentrate on finding the right part for Arty-Z7020 to enter design.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

@hbucher--- Why "... in Vivado HLS you don't need the board file because it only uses the device part"? I am asking because I try implementing some lab in HLS, which I am completely new to. Until now I experimented with RTL entry flow, which do needed board awareness. This was quite logical for me because I tinkered with on-board buttons and LEDs. Would appreciate you explain your statement.

0 Kudos