cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Is it possible to implement clock generation circuit in FPGA?

Dear Xilinx experts.

Thank you very much for your excellent best supports.

Is it possible to implement clock generation circuit in FPGA?

If I use asynchronous circuit, can I implement it?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @chldlrtjd ,

You can use Xilinx IP core clcok generator according to your target device:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/clock_generator/v4_03_a/clock_generator.pdf

Thanks,

Raj

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@chldlrtjd,

While it is theoretically possible to generate a clock from a ring oscillator--perhaps running a series of "not" gates around the periphery of the programmable logic, abusing the tools to do something like this is not supported by Vivado.  Indeed, I know of no technique within the limitations of the build tools that can actually generate a clock from nothing.  (Not that I know everything, but feel free to correct me here if I am wrong.)  Every technique I am aware of, to include the one @rshekhaw just mentioned as well as my own more unconventional approach, requires an incoming clock to start from.

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

@dgisselq It looks like it can be done, with appropriate use of the DONT_TOUCH attribute to stop Vivado removing it during synthesis.

However, you don't get anything like a constant clock speed. It'll change with temperature, it'll change with each device that you use, it'll probably even change every time you run implementation (unless you force Vivado to always put it in the same place). That makes it impractical to use for any logic, because you can't provide any sensible timing constraints.

A better approach would be to use the configuration clock from the FPGA's internal oscillator, which is available through the STARTUPE2 primitive (as CFGMCLK). It's still not exactly stable, but at least it won't change every time you run implementation.

Of course, the correct solution is to just stick an external oscillator on there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Dear Raj, Dan, u4223374.

Thank you very much for your precious answer.

Ick-Sung Choi.

0 Kudos