cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnfrye11
Explorer
Explorer

Purpose of ap_ctrl interface when Other Handshake Protocols Used

I have a core that has an AXI4-Stream input and output interface. Still, the tool generates the pins ap_start, ap_done, ap_idle, ap_ready. What is the purpose of these interfaces? Should I just put a constant with value 1 connected to ap_start then perform streaming from DMA as usual into core or do I need to read the other ap signals? Are you supposed to program this ap_* interface from the processing system and use the done, idle, and ready signals?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
shameera

Hi @johnfrye11 ,

The above-mentioned interfaces are the block level interfaces By default, they are added to the design. These signal control the block, independently with respect to any port-level I/O protocols. These ports control when the block can start processing data (ap_start), indicate when it is ready to accept new inputs (ap_ready) and indicate if the design is idle (ap_idle) or has completed operation (ap_done).

0 Kudos
u4223374
Advisor
Advisor

@johnfrye11  For a Zynq design, normally you would include this line:

#pragma HLS INTERFACE s_axilite port=return

This moves the block control ports to an AXI Lite slave, which you can plug into the Zynq PS. From here you can start the block (or set auto-restart, so it just keeps starting itself), check when it's finished, etc.

0 Kudos
johnfrye11
Explorer
Explorer

@u4223374 

Does the tool still generate the ap_* interface if you use the AXI Lite to program the configs for the core? Does this interface still need to be negotiated?

@shameera 

How do you negotiate those signals from the PS? If you negotiate them in HW, how do negotiate them on an AXI4-Stream bus?

Thanks again

0 Kudos