UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer martin-91x
Observer

Question on connecting IPs

Jump to solution

Hi,

currently I'm building a system consisting of multiple IPs. Each of them produces / consumes fairly large arrays (eg. images). Because debugging / synthesis / simulation is much easier and faster when working with 3 singe IPs instead of one big and complicated IP, I decided to split up.

Now I'm wondering if:

(1) What type of interface should I use in this case (currently axis)?

(2) Is there a noticeable impact on the performance compared with a solution where the functions / arrays are internaly connected by hls::stream?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Question on connecting IPs

Jump to solution

A stream is definitely the preferred option, if your IP can handle that. Obviously if you want intermediate buffering you can either use a VDMA (for DRAM buffer) or an AXI Stream FIFO (BRAM buffer).

In terms of performance differences - I've never seen any difference. Splitting up blocks is generally good; HLS sometimes has odd problems when projects become very complex.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution

@martin-91x

You have 3 options:

* save intermediate products in registers and communicate between blocks with axis

* save intermediate products in bram and communicate between blocks with axis or bram interface

* save intermediate products in dram and communicate between  blocks with m_axi on both IPs

You probably don't need to store complete images and a number of lines/rows of the image is enough for your processing. If this is the case, you can just keep these lines in brams and just stack your blocks with axis for finished product and do an axis to memory while testing so you can see the result in memory.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Observer martin-91x
Observer

Jump to solution

I've designed all my IPs in a streaming way so that I don't have to store the images. In this case, my solution (simple connection with axis) should be fine - referring to your post.

Thank you for your answer.

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

A stream is definitely the preferred option, if your IP can handle that. Obviously if you want intermediate buffering you can either use a VDMA (for DRAM buffer) or an AXI Stream FIFO (BRAM buffer).

In terms of performance differences - I've never seen any difference. Splitting up blocks is generally good; HLS sometimes has odd problems when projects become very complex.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos