Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luhb
Visitor
Visitor

Starting Command Line Prompt on Linux OS

Jump to solution

Hi Community,

I am new to Vivado HLS. I've started with a Xilinx Tutorial for Vivado_HLS 2017.4. I've got only 2018.3, installed on CentOS. In the this Lab 2, I build a library with gcc. The tutorial was written for Windows users, and I have no clue how to open the command line prompt on Linux. I found the interactive mode, the GUI mode and the batch mode. But none of these modes looks like the command line tool they use in the tutorial, "make" is also not available. I also had a look into the bin directory of my install folder, but I have no idea how to find or launch this tool. Make in the regular shell fails at building the project, since it lacks some files for doing this.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
luhb
Visitor
Visitor

Ok, thanks to pavan_619@ Pavan I was able to solve my dumb mistake.

The system's gcc is perfectly ok to use for this. Windows users have this command line prompt tool because they lack the console. Pre-compiled sources located in the lab_2 folder prevent make from doing its job. Just execute make clean (or delete the object files, *.o) and run make again. That's all.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
pavan_619@
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello @luhb 
I am not sure about your question. I guess your not able to open vivado_hls in CentOS.
If it is not related please ignore

Check your installation directory of Vivado 2018.3 in Centos.
Vivado can be directly opened after this command 

Do this procedure.(open terminal)

Command 1: source  <installed path in your os>/Vivado/2018.3/settings64.sh

Command 2 : vivado => This will open vivado for you if it properly installed.

Now comes your part.
Vivado 2018.3 HLS has tcl script in the folder Vivado/2018.3/bin/scripts and it cannot be run like your shell script

After running above two commands you can directly use

Command 3: vivado_hls 

It will open vivado HLS for you.
Then you search for required files or you can  use "make" command in the terminal

regards
Pavan
=============================

Accept as solution if it solves the problem, Give kudo if it is helpful

luhb
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Pavan,

thanks for the quick answer.

I am in fact able to open Vivado_HLS in CentOS, I went through the first part of the lab with it

In the Lab description in my link, you see that for windows, there is a different kind of program available. When called, it opens a shell with minimal functionality. The stdout:

Vivado HLS Command Line Prompt

Available Commands:

vivado_hls, apcc, gcc, g++, make

That's why I thought there is a minimalistic tool extra for building the resources and starting Vivado HLS afterwards. I wasn't able to find this on Linux, and it seems, you cannot do the "make" in the regular Vivado HLS command line prompt in -i mode.

0 Kudos
pavan_619@
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @luhb 

Oh Now I understood the problem.

I think that tutorial was specifically considered for windows.

C:/xup/........./lab2 => this directory was custom I guess and this is the place where they have stored the test files.

When we use make command it will compile the application and later it will be executed.

If you want to do same thing then you need files which are in lab2 folder.

Copy it some location and use "make" command and later follow the user guide

Hope it helps
Regards
pavan

0 Kudos
luhb
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Pavan,

I've got all the files. But my System's GCC is not necessarily the same as the one installed with Vivado_HLS on Windows, is it? Because the system's gcc returns:

-> make
gcc -ggdb -w -I/usr/prog/xilinx/Vivado_HLS/2016.4/include -c -o yuv_filter.o yuv_filter.c
gcc -lm yuv_filter.o yuv_filter_test.o image_aux.o -o yuv_filter
yuv_filter_test.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized

That's why I was looking for the Vivado_HLS command line prompt which includes the gcc installed with Vivado/Vivado_HLS. I was hoping that "make" will then invoke the gcc provided by Xilinx when called from within the Xilinx command line prompt.

Best regards!

0 Kudos
luhb
Visitor
Visitor

Ok, thanks to pavan_619@ Pavan I was able to solve my dumb mistake.

The system's gcc is perfectly ok to use for this. Windows users have this command line prompt tool because they lack the console. Pre-compiled sources located in the lab_2 folder prevent make from doing its job. Just execute make clean (or delete the object files, *.o) and run make again. That's all.

View solution in original post