Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nanson
Explorer
Explorer

Use case of Non-Blocking Reads and Writes supported in HSL Stream

Jump to solution

Hi, dear elites,

I'm studying the hls stream part in UG902. In page 228, it describes Non-blocking write and read methods are also provided by HLS::Stream. However, I'm curious what real scenarios are applicable for the non-blocking write and read methods which has risk to corrupt the data in the FIFO. What I can came up with is some applications is not aware of data corruption but I don't know if there has such application in fact.  Appreciate to hear about any comments if you have. Thanks

All the best,

NS

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nanson
Explorer
Explorer

@hbucher  Thanks for your example. However, 

I'm a little bit confused with your example "You might want to send out a packet while still being responsive to incoming data" and the non-blocking read/write. The example you illustrated can also be implemented by blocking read/write which are also two independent channels. In your example, is it allowable to send out a packet and wait for incoming data without flow control ? Maybe some applications are tolerable of packet loss in the position of no flow control. If it's the case, it should be sensible to use non-blocking read/write AXI4-stream. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@nanson You might want to increment a counter, set a flag or send data through an out stream when there is no activity in the input stream, for example.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos
nanson
Explorer
Explorer

@hbucher Thanks for the comment. It seems HLS stream can also being exploited as control signalling. However, to  increment a counter, set a flag is fine for non-blocking behavior.

For sending data through an out stream when there is no activity in the input stream, I don't understand how it relates to Non-Blocking Reads and Writes. Thanks :)

0 Kudos
hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@nanson You might want to send out a packet while still being responsive to incoming data.

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos
nanson
Explorer
Explorer

@hbucher  Thanks for your example. However, 

I'm a little bit confused with your example "You might want to send out a packet while still being responsive to incoming data" and the non-blocking read/write. The example you illustrated can also be implemented by blocking read/write which are also two independent channels. In your example, is it allowable to send out a packet and wait for incoming data without flow control ? Maybe some applications are tolerable of packet loss in the position of no flow control. If it's the case, it should be sensible to use non-blocking read/write AXI4-stream. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
vegajua1
Visitor
Visitor

Some applications don't support back pressure (such as a network input with a non-lossless protocol). As a result, whether or not you actually read the data it will be lost because the original sender does not have a tReady port. In this case a non blocking write would be appropriate so you can decide what to do if there is no room for the outgoing data, the non blocking write returns a bool telling us if it succeeded and you can use this to maybe put it in a buffer or raise some warning flag saying system overloaded or drop it if necessary but keep a count of dropped packets etc.

0 Kudos