cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado HLS 2019.1 200-445 error when using C Synthesis on a project stored on a server share

Hello,

One of our professors notified me that students get errors when trying to use Vivado HLS 2019.1, when they run C synthesis. The get the following error:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

INFO: [HLS 200-111] Elapsed time: 0.524 seconds; current allocated memory: 108.895 MB.
ERROR: [HLS 200-445] Unexpected error generating RTL model: could not read "Z:/projb/alphaC/solution1/.autopilot/db/coregen/mac_mac_1/inner_product_macbkb_DSP48_0.v": no such file or directory
command 'ap_source' returned error code
while executing
"source Z:/projb/alphaC/solution1/csynth.tcl"
invoked from within
"hls::main Z:/projb/alphaC/solution1/csynth.tcl"
("uplevel" body line 1)
invoked from within
"uplevel 1 hls::main {*}$args"
(procedure "hls_proc" line 5)
invoked from within
"hls_proc $argv"
INFO: [HLS 200-112] Total elapsed time: 38.105 seconds; peak allocated memory: 108.895 MB.
Finished C synthesis.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

We are running Windows 10 x64 1903. We use roamning/user profiles, so users AppData/Desktop/documents are all redirected to a server share but are mapped locally as a drive letter Z:. 

I've tested several scenarios:

1.  As a regular non-admin domain user, I can create the project on Z: (which is mapped to \\server1.domain.local\share\). I create a new project, add the files (cpp.and header). I can run C simulation clean build. That passes. Then I run C synthesis I get the error above. I've checked file/folder permissions and its fine because it does generate other files during the C sim and C synth process.

2. As a regular non-admin domain user, I create the project on a local disk C:\Temp. Perform the same steps, no errors in synthesis. 

3. As a local admin account, I map a network share \\server1.domain.local\share\ to drive letter Z:. Perform the same steps and I get the same error

4. As a local admin account, I create the project on a local disk: C\Temp. Perform the same steps, no errors in synthesis.

Does Vivado HLS 2019.1 not able to generate projects over to a network path that is mapped a local drive letter? I know it had issues with UNC paths, but I'm not using any.

I've attached the cpp files. According to the prof. you create  a new project: add "inner_product.cpp" and top function name "inner_project" . Click next, add file: tb_inner_product.cpp. clock period 4, part is: Kintext-7 xc7k325tffg676-2. That's it to the project creation. Then run C sim and C sythn.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado HLS 2019.1 200-445 error when using C Synthesis on a project stored on a server share

Hi @roguecoolman ,

You should be able to build on Drive-mapped to a network. I was able to C sim and C synthesis your design. Can you attach the entire solution log?

Cheers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Vivado HLS 2019.1 200-445 error when using C Synthesis on a project stored on a server share

Thanks. I've attached the file vivado_hls.log. Is that the solution log?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The vivado hls log works too.

Thanks

Cheers
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@roguecoolman 

Are the source files and testbench added from your local machine or from a directory on the server?

Cheers
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

When the project file is created and the source files are added from the local drive, it works. When the project is created on a server and source files added from the server it works. It seems that in some troubleshooting we've narrowed something down.

Primarily we are using samba to host our network shares for all our Windows clients. When I created a temporary windows share, I can get a successful C synthesis with the project/source hosted on the network Windows share. So this isolates the issue to samba. I reached out to our storage admin and his findings so far are:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The issue is that for some reason, Xilinx tries to delete a file,
which succeeds, but samba doesn't actually delete it for a while.  In the
meantime, Xilinx lists the contents of the directory containing the file,
then starts going through each file it got back doing some processing on
them.  In the meantime, samba actually gets around to deleting the file,
so when Xilinx gets to it, it no longer exists, and Xilinx errors out.

In the working, case (both on a Windows share and, randomly, a couple
times while I was testing on samba) samba immediately deletes the file
when requested to by Xilinx, thus never showing up in the later list of
files Xilinx makes, thus never causing the issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there's seem to be something up with our Samba configuration some where. I'm hoping there are folks using a samba server share that might know what configuration thats causing the delay deletion randomly.

0 Kudos