Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

What is the difference btw Synthesis Report and Export RTL

Hi

I am currently using Vivado HLS 2012.4. I realised that a synthesis report is generated when I click on the 'Run C Synthesis' button in the toolbar. But, another synthesis report is also generated when I click on the 'Export RTL' button in the toolbar. May I know what the difference is? 

Another question is I synthesize my C code with LegUp and put into Xilinx ISE for logic synthesis. Which of the synthesis report is comparable with performing logic synthesis in Xilinx ISE? I want to mae a comparison between the LUTs and FFs used.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

C synthesis and RTL synthesis are two different  outputs from HLS andeach have there own set of libraries.

I would suggest you to refer ug902

Exporting the  RTL design -> RTL synthesis section gives you  details on the reports which is similar to ISE and have comparison on LUTs anf dlipflops.

Regards,

Vanitha.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi 

Yes. I was referring to this user guide and got a little confused. So for high level synthesis, it should be the 'C synthesis' button in the toolbar right? and for logic synthesis I should use the 'Export RTL' button right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

C Synthesis -- C/C++/System C to RTL(Verilog/VHDL)
Export RTL > IP Catalog/Synthesis Checkpoint -- Add IP to Vivado or use the checkpoint file directly as a black box in your design and then synthesize.
Good Read: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2013_3/ug871-vivado-high-level-synthesis-tutorial.pdf
Regards,
Debraj
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Yes for both questions.

@tmrnvrcome wrote:

Hi 

Yes. I was referring to this user guide and got a little confused. So for high level synthesis, it should be the 'C synthesis' button in the toolbar right? and for logic synthesis I should use the 'Export RTL' button right?

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos