UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

What's the main difference b/w use of gcc and clang in HLS ?

Jump to solution

Hi, dear HLS elites,

As far as I know, the Vivado HLS supports either GCC or CLANG compiler. (assume under Linux platform)

From HLS synthesis view, what's the main difference ? Also,  from HLS C sim/Co-Sim view, what's the main difference ?

I'd like to understand how user makes best decision on the two choices. 

All the best,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: What's the main difference b/w use of gcc and clang in HLS ?

Jump to solution

@nanson

Starting Vivado HLS 2018.2, you will only be able to use gcc compiler. The CLANG option has been removed.

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

BTW, are there any HLS users choosing clang as the compiler ? If yes, what's your concern ?  Thanks

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@nanson

Starting Vivado HLS 2018.2, you will only be able to use gcc compiler. The CLANG option has been removed.

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos
Observer lematthias
Observer

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have noticed that the option to select the clang compiler has been removed in the GUI in 2018.3 indeed. Running the tcl command with the clang option (csim_design -compiler clang) gives the following output:

INFO: [SIM 211-2] *************** CSIM start ***************
INFO: [SIM 211-4] CSIM will launch CLANG as the compiler.

So it seems as if the use of the clang compiler can still be forced with the tcl command.

To answer to the OP: I used clang because of its C++11 support (that the gcc compiler lacked).

0 Kudos