UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

problem with ap_none signal input with 2015.3

Hi, 

I notice that 2015.3 is handling ap_none input in a weird way compared to 2015.1. I have created a simple design to reproduce the problem as attached. I have a top level function as: 

void test(ap_uint<8> sts, hls::stream<axiWord>& in, hls::stream<axiWord>& out) {

static hls::stream<axiWord> temp;
moveToFifo<0>(in, temp);
moveToFifoTmp(sts, temp, out);
}

It has one stream input and one ap_none data input, the only comsumer of the input fifo is a function called moveToFifo as followed:

template <int tag, typename T>
void moveToFifo(hls::stream<T>& in, hls::stream<T>& out) {
if (!in.empty() && !out.full()) {
out.write(in.read());
}
}

However, from the verilog code it generated as followed, you can see that the sts signal is somehow included into the moveFifo function and got converted into a fifo interface. So now the ready signal for the moveToFifo is dependent to the downstream consumer of the sts_channel. If it somehow stucks when writing to a full fifo, it will keep back pressure to this function and stop it from reading from the data input. I have a design that was working in 2015.1 but now freezes when I send data in a higher rate. 

module test_moveToFifo_0_axiWord_51 (
ap_clk,
ap_rst,
ap_start,
ap_done,
ap_continue,
ap_idle,
ap_ready,
in_TDATA,
in_TVALID,
in_TREADY,
in_TKEEP,
in_TLAST,
sts_V,
sts_V_out_din,
sts_V_out_full_n,
sts_V_out_write,
temp_V_data_V_din,
temp_V_data_V_full_n,
temp_V_data_V_write,
temp_V_keep_V_din,
temp_V_keep_V_full_n,
temp_V_keep_V_write,
temp_V_last_V_din,
temp_V_last_V_full_n,
temp_V_last_V_write
);

Thanks,

Jimmy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Observer dasidler
Observer

Re: problem with ap_none signal input with 2015.3

@linzhongduo were you able to find a workaround for this problem?
I have a very similar issue in 2018.1.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

No, Xilinx just updated the HLS user guide that this is not supported.... I do not think they will work on this. If you can contact a field support, they might be able to fire a ticket to the dev team.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer dasidler
Observer

@linzhongduo thanks for the fast reply.

To me the ap_none documentation is not very clear, i see that his requirements were added from 2015.1 to 2015.3:

the ap_none interface does requires the following:

• Producer blocks to do one of the following:
    • Provide data to the input port at the correct time
    • Hold data for the length of a transaction until the design completes
  • Consumer blocks to read output ports at the correct time

Frankly, i don't understand why they removed this very simply feature. I am wondering if the best practice is to pass these input arguments with a stream as well.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

cannot comment on this. I have been waiting for years for Xilinx to fix this problem or provide a guideline of best practice. For me, all the problematic inputs are only for initialisation, so whatever bug they are trying to solve in 2015.3 shouldn't affect this simple case.
0 Kudos