UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

2018.3 multithreading contradiction

Jump to solution

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_3/ug904-vivado-implementation.pdf page 7 says: "The default number of maximum simultaneous threads is based on the OS. For Windows systems, the limit is 2; for Linux systems the default is 8." yet the vivado 2018.3 lets me select up to 8 "jobs" (which are supposed to equal CPU cores).

1. Is the information I quoted still true for 2018.3?
2. If I have an 8 core processor, am I getting a 4x performance boost by running vivado on linux instead of windows 10?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: 2018.3 multithreading contradiction

Jump to solution

The real issue is that general.maxThreads is set to 2 for some absolutely insane reason on windows. No good reason at all to do that. It should always be set to however many cores are available on the machine. There is a massive speed difference setting it to 8 vs the default of 2. wtf xilinx!?

set_param general.maxThreads 8

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi @david12341234

> 2. If I have an 8 core processor, am I getting a 4x performance boost by running vivado on linux instead of windows 10?

Almost all no.

For example, even if you use too much cores to compile the design, compile time of simple design is almost same as single core processor's.

It depends on your design.

However, if your design is large size and you can prepare huge memory size, I suggest using Linux OS with multi cores.

You can reduce compile time.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

The real issue is that general.maxThreads is set to 2 for some absolutely insane reason on windows. No good reason at all to do that. It should always be set to however many cores are available on the machine. There is a massive speed difference setting it to 8 vs the default of 2. wtf xilinx!?

set_param general.maxThreads 8

0 Kudos