UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer eneserdin
Observer

A PAR challenge for tri-states

Hi,

I am trying to produce a hardware which needs speed and accuracy in timing. I will sum up the problem with a code.

if rising_edge(clk) then

if wea = '1' then

douta <= some_signal(15 downto 8);

else

douta <= (others => 'Z');

end if;

if web = '1' then

doutb <= some_signal(7 downto 0);

else

doutb <= (others => 'Z');

end if;

end if;

Here "wea" and "web" are generated from the same signal and they are at the same level but for speed purpose I am using "equiavlent_register_removal = NO" attribute for these signals. Also again for speed douta, doutb signals have the "IOB = TRUE" attribute.

Problem is when I use FPGA editor the tri-state enable bits for "douta" port are directly in the IOB cell, which is the thing I want

but when I observe the tri-state enable bit for the "doutb" port it is not in the IOB cell, besides it is far away from the IOB so there is a 2 ns delay between douta and doutb ports.

Although I am using the same kind of signals why this happens? Any ideas?

By the way I use ISE 9.2.04 and a virtex4 LX100.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Historian
Historian

Re: A PAR challenge for tri-states

eneserdin wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to produce a hardware which needs speed and accuracy in timing. I will sum up the problem with a code.

if rising_edge(clk) then

if wea = '1' then

douta <= some_signal(15 downto 8);

else

douta <= (others => 'Z');

end if;

if web = '1' then

doutb <= some_signal(7 downto 0);

else

doutb <= (others => 'Z');

end if;

end if;

Here "wea" and "web" are generated from the same signal and they are at the same level but for speed purpose I am using "equiavlent_register_removal = NO" attribute for these signals. Also again for speed douta, doutb signals have the "IOB = TRUE" attribute.

Problem is when I use FPGA editor the tri-state enable bits for "douta" port are directly in the IOB cell, which is the thing I want

but when I observe the tri-state enable bit for the "doutb" port it is not in the IOB cell, besides it is far away from the IOB so there is a 2 ns delay between douta and doutb ports.

Although I am using the same kind of signals why this happens? Any ideas?

By the way I use ISE 9.2.04 and a virtex4 LX100.

The tristate assignment should NOT be part of a synchronous process.

-a

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Observer eneserdin
Observer

I only wonder. Why tristate assignment should NOT be a part of synchronous process? Is this a design rule or a drawback in terms of resource usage or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Enes.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

eneserdin wrote:

I only wonder. Why tristate assignment should NOT be a part of synchronous process? Is this a design rule or a drawback in terms of resource usage or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Enes.

THINK HARDWARE. What output would you expect to see if the input to a real flip-flop was tristated?

-a

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Observer eneserdin
Observer

Yes you are right doing it combinatorial is the best. But XST is handling this kind of operation, I think, such that it is creating tristate enables for the output buffer. Since I use IOB property it puts the enable flip-flop just next to the IOB cell.

By the way for the problem I wrote I found a solution such that I am creating an enable signal bus as the same width as the output port and using it bit by bit.

Thank you for the valuable information.

Regards,

Enes

0 Kudos