UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

ARM IP design empty

Jump to solution

I gave the ARM M-1 core a go and vivado failed to implement ("the design is empty") a basic BD with it and a clock generator, processor reset and AXI FIFO... why?

Note: yes, I created the wrapper and connected some pins as ports. I checked the BD.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: ARM IP design empty

Jump to solution

@archangel-lightworks 

If you see the ports declaration there are only input ports and no output ports. With no output ports, the tool optimizes all the logic giving you empty design. This is expected.

Looks like you are new to HDL language. I would suggest you refer few books/material on learning synthesizable HDL coding.

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Jump to solution

@archangel-lightworks 

Check if the block design validation was successful. On your error, "the design is empty" there must be no outputs or loadless signals. Check the runme.log file present in .runs/impl_1 folder to know about the logic getting optimized.

--Syed

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yes, the block diagram is validated. It's like this:

err1.png

And the message is:

err2.png

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@archangel-lightworks 

When you created the RTL wrapper around this block design, Do you seen any output ports in RTL?  I believe the design is completely getting optimized as there are no output ports. 

--Syed

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

There are, all the ports you see in the BD.

I just run the wrapper as a top file, this is not anything serious, I just wanted to get a quick comparison with microblaze in terms of resource usage but I was surprised it didn't do it

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@archangel-lightworks 

Can you share your top module RTL file which the tool has created for BD?

--Syed

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Sure,

`timescale 1 ps / 1 ps

module bd_1_wrapper
   (CFGITCMEN,
    DBGRESETn,
    SWCLKTCK,
    clk_25MHz,
    nTRST,
    reset_rtl_0,
    reset_rtl_0_0);
  input [1:0]CFGITCMEN;
  input DBGRESETn;
  input SWCLKTCK;
  input clk_25MHz;
  input nTRST;
  input reset_rtl_0;
  input reset_rtl_0_0;

wire [1:0]CFGITCMEN;
  wire DBGRESETn;
  wire SWCLKTCK;
  wire clk_25MHz;
  wire nTRST;
  wire reset_rtl_0;
  wire reset_rtl_0_0;

bd_1 bd_1_i
       (.CFGITCMEN(CFGITCMEN),
        .DBGRESETn(DBGRESETn),
        .SWCLKTCK(SWCLKTCK),
        .clk_25MHz(clk_25MHz),
        .nTRST(nTRST),
        .reset_rtl_0(reset_rtl_0),
        .reset_rtl_0_0(reset_rtl_0_0));
endmodule

I wonder if it's so smart it ignores everything because there is no output (?)

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@archangel-lightworks 

If you see the ports declaration there are only input ports and no output ports. With no output ports, the tool optimizes all the logic giving you empty design. This is expected.

Looks like you are new to HDL language. I would suggest you refer few books/material on learning synthesizable HDL coding.

--Syed

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

HDL textbooks are useful and it's always good to go back to them as my first FPGA project was with some Lattice chip in the 90s.

But they won't tell about how Vivado optimizes HDL. That's not in the VHDL or Verilog standards.