UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Abnormal Termination (11) at phase 15 of routing Vivado 2016.3

Jump to solution

Hi Guys! 

Before explaining my issue here, I would like to add that I had some kind of similar problem about 2 months ago (https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Implementation/Vivado-2016-3-Linux-64-bit-14-Abnormal-program-termination-11/m-p/826090#M19785) in which the same problem was showing but from different source of error! In the other words, at that time the routing phase of Vivado 2016.3 was stuck at phase 15 with the message saying:

" Phase 15 Leaf Clock Prog Delay Opt Abnormal program termination (11)

Please check '/home/...      ...../hs_err_pid10816.log' for details  "

In the above problem, after some investigation I found that there were some VHDL codes inside the custom IPs which some lines were consist of some weird symbols due to copy/paste from a pdf file. As a result, I removed them and the abnormal termination solved! 

My design consist of different HLS and VHDL custom IPs alongside with Xilinx IPs and can be considered a huge design. The problem now is when I apply any modification in any HLS IPs and try to update and re-wrap the design, sometimes implementation would be finished without any abortion and sometimes would have abnormal termination (11) at routing phase 15 with the same massage as above.  I am confused since it occurs randomly. If anyone can help me please let me know for sharing all needed log files to him. 

Thank you, 
Farnam 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Abnormal Termination (11) at phase 15 of routing Vivado 2016.3

Jump to solution

Hi @fkhalili, as the issue still persists, would it be possible to get the design in order for it be fixed? If so, I can contact you offline for this.

The issue occurs during the Leaf Clock Prog Delay Opt phase in route_design so I assume you are using the Explore directive when running route_design (i.e. route_design -directive Explore). As such, try running route_design with the Default directive (i.e. route_design -directive Default) to see if that helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
6 Replies

Jump to solution

@fkhalili, there was an issue with this particular phase in 2016.3, which was subsequently fixed in 2017.1.

For 2016.3, can you try using the Default directive (i.e. -directive Default)?

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi @peadard,

Sorry! I forgot to add that I have also used Vivado 2017.2 and the same problem exists. What are you meaning by default directive? could you please explain a bit more? I have used lots of directives in HLS IPs which I cannot change them. 

Regards,
Farnam

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @fkhalili, as the issue still persists, would it be possible to get the design in order for it be fixed? If so, I can contact you offline for this.

The issue occurs during the Leaf Clock Prog Delay Opt phase in route_design so I assume you are using the Explore directive when running route_design (i.e. route_design -directive Explore). As such, try running route_design with the Default directive (i.e. route_design -directive Default) to see if that helps.

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi @peadard

Thank you for your supports. I cannot pass you the design but all log files you needed I can privately pass to you. 

I checked the routing setting, as you mentioned, it has been set to "Explore". Now, I am going to retry with default directive and keep you in touch with result. 

Regards,
Farnam

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi @peadard

You were right! once I retried my design with a route_design -directive default, the routing phase is done completely without any abnormal termination. Thank you for your gainful support since I was struggling a lot to figure this issue out. :) 

I had this issue in both OS (Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 ) on which the abnormal termination occurred at the same phase 15 with different appeared message. Using Windows 10, the message was: Abnormal program termination (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION). And using Ubuntu 16.04, the message was: Phase 15 Leaf Clock Prog Delay Opt Abnormal program termination (11). 

Could you please explain me a bit more about this directive and what does it do when for example it is set to "Explore"? Would choosing default directive affect the extra-timing optimization strategy? Because the timing optimization is one of highest preferences in this design. Thank you for your supports.

Best regards,
Farnam

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@fkhalili,

Check Appendix C in below link: 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug904-vivado-implementation.pdf#page=177

Explore directive with route Allows the router to explore different critical path placements after an initial route.

If you are able to meet timing with Default directive then that should be fine.

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------