cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Alternatives for Implementation on FPGAs

is the Xilinx ISE the only method to implement my FPGA design (translate, map, PAR) on my Xilinx FPGA? 

for synthesis, there seems to be alternative software that i can use, like Synplicity.

is there (or will there) be open source alternatives? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi Adrian,

some universities are doing basic research in that area, but that's about all. 

The only software known to me that goes a little step beyond the RTL Synthesis Level is Mentors Precision Synthesis Physical. 

But this is still far away from real PAR.

The problem is that you need special internal knowledge of the chip to generate the bitstream and create an optimal placement and routing.

A company that would start with this work after the chips specs are released and without knowledge about the real internal structures would hardly finish such a software before the FPGAs discontinuation time.

The FPGA-manufacturers start developing the PAR-software almost parallel to the silicon development. 

And with todays advanced simulation technologies they can even test it before they have real silicon. That's why the tools are delivered just in time with the chips.

You will find several threads on this topic in the FPGA related forums.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

Highlighted
Historian
Historian

adriangolding wrote:

is the Xilinx ISE the only method to implement my FPGA design (translate, map, PAR) on my Xilinx FPGA? 

for synthesis, there seems to be alternative software that i can use, like Synplicity.

Yes, the only implementation tools are those provided by Xilinx.

is there (or will there) be open source alternatives? 

Xilinx considers the implementation tools (and the bitstream generation process) to be a trade secret so an open-source alternative is highly unlikely.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Future popularity of a product often depends on whether the technology can be duplicated by a third party. The concept of "IBM clones" made PCs what they are today. Maybe Xilinx should take note of that.

0 Kudos