UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor nigg
Visitor

BRAM instead of nativ FIFO used

Hi

I reimplemented an "old" design from Planahead 14.2 to Vivado 2014.2 (versions are confusing but I double checked).

The design contains some FIFOs. In Planahead I noted that after using Coregen correctly the design used about 50% of the nativ FIFOs and 0% BRAM. If done incorrectly almost all BRAM were used and no nativ FIFOs.

In Vivado I created a custom IP Block. This block then contains a generated IP Core configuring a nativ FIFO. After packing my custom block it is used in a over all system design. Implementeation (and even bitfile creation) works. BUT it seems to use all my BRAM and no nativ FIFOs. I am completely stuck. I can not "add" the FIFO IP to the final project since it complains that its already there (even tough I cant see it under IP).

One thing worth mentioning. While packing my custom IP Block I chose "include .XCI file". But the there was a warning about the source beeing outside my design. Since beeing outsinde my design is kind of the definition for an IP Block I did not bother.

• What is the diffrence of "include .XCI" and "include generated files" when packing an IP into an IP?
  • How can I enforce the implementation to use nativ FIFOs if defining it in the generated IPCore is not enough?
  • Can I enforce Vivado to show me resources that are not used? So I could see in the implementation not only the green bar on BRAM but also FIFO and then kind of no bar so I know it does not confuse those memory resources?

Its a zynq design so I am pretty sure that there are FIFOs...

Tags (3)
0 Kudos