UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor etauch
Visitor

BRAM report per module (18 and 36 bit)

Hello,

I am trying to extrapolate BRAM utilization in a new design based on the report from an existing design.  For some reason the reports give total BRAM usage, but seem to hide whether or not the BRAM is 18 bit or 36 bit.   It does give this info in the summary at the bottome, but I cannot find a way to get this information per module. 

Any suggestiions on how to get this info would be appreciated.

I would think that the report should standardize on 18 bit to keep the numbers straight for comparison reasons (and the general spec sheets for the various parts should list at 18 bit).  Seems like this is being made unecessarily complicated with the usage of 18 and 36 interchangeably.

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Re: BRAM report per module (18 and 36 bit)

Interesting...

In all of my designs, I know exactly how much BRAM is used in each and every module.  You must have a very large, complex design to analyse.

- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You can use ADEPT to get RAMB18 and RAMB36 utilization hierarchically from the NCD. Check the blog below for more details:
http://myadeptblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/logic-utilization-view.html

@etauch wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to extrapolate BRAM utilization in a new design based on the report from an existing design.  For some reason the reports give total BRAM usage, but seem to hide whether or not the BRAM is 18 bit or 36 bit.   It does give this info in the summary at the bottome, but I cannot find a way to get this information per module. 

Any suggestiions on how to get this info would be appreciated.

I would think that the report should standardize on 18 bit to keep the numbers straight for comparison reasons (and the general spec sheets for the various parts should list at 18 bit).  Seems like this is being made unecessarily complicated with the usage of 18 and 36 interchangeably.

Thanks,

Eric

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Visitor etauch
Visitor

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info.  I downloaded the adept zip file.  I changed the ADEPT_INST_DIR variable based on the intstructions, but I cannot get the Xilinx path variables set per your blog entry (newer release of ISE sets these when ISE is executed).  From the blog entry it looks like the files that came out of the latest release zip file are slightly different.  I cannot find the right file to run to set the PATH environment variable.

Thanks for your help,

Eric

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Have you checked the blog below? The shortcut name included in the latest releases is adept_ise12_example.bat .

http://myadeptblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/run-adept-with-ids-121.html

@etauch wrote:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info.  I downloaded the adept zip file.  I changed the ADEPT_INST_DIR variable based on the intstructions, but I cannot get the Xilinx path variables set per your blog entry (newer release of ISE sets these when ISE is executed).  From the blog entry it looks like the files that came out of the latest release zip file are slightly different.  I cannot find the right file to run to set the PATH environment variable.

Thanks for your help,

Eric

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Visitor etauch
Visitor

Yes, I ran adept_ise12_example.bat, but the bat file hangs for a while and says that it cant find settings32.bat.  It does seem to move past that, but then errors and and complains that disk or network resources are not available. 

When I went to the blog, I noticed the file names were slightly different. 

I know that I am not the most versed person in Windows environment variables or scripts, so that is probably some of the problem.  I also wonder if there is not a way to get this info from ISE? (although your program looks very handy). 

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Right click on adept_ise12_example.bat, select properties and then go to the "Shortcut" tab (see the snapshot in the blog). It shows the target of the shortcut. You need to change it to match your ISE installation (if you use the default installation path, you only need to replace "12.1" to the version number you're using).

@etauch wrote:

Yes, I ran adept_ise12_example.bat, but the bat file hangs for a while and says that it cant find settings32.bat.  It does seem to move past that, but then errors and and complains that disk or network resources are not available. 

I know that I am not the most versed person in Windows environment variables or scripts, so that is probably some of the problem.  I also wonder if there is not a way to get this info from ISE? (although your program looks very handy). 

Thanks,

Eric

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Sorry, forgot to answer your last question: in ISE (Project Navigator), if you turn on "-detail" option for "Map Properties" you will get the module level utilization report. However, it doesn't separate RAMB18/RAMB36/FIFO18/FIFO36.

@etauch wrote:

Thanks,

Eric

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Visitor etauch
Visitor

Hi Jim,

I have gotten ADEPT to run.  Its chugging away now bringing in a 240T design.  I am not sure if it is stuck, or my machine is slow (I just started here and am on an old P4 2.6GHz machine til the new machine is set up). 

Thanks for all your help.

Best regards,

Eric

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The slowness may have more to do with lack of physical memory on your machine than the CPU speed. Since you're getting a new machine, you may want to take a look at the webpage below on memory recommendations vs devices. ADEPT runs some ISE tools in the background, so things can be slow if you don't have enough RAM on your machine.

http://www.xilinx.com/ise/products/memory.htm#v6lx

@etauch wrote:

Hi Jim,

I have gotten ADEPT to run.  Its chugging away now bringing in a 240T design.  I am not sure if it is stuck, or my machine is slow (I just started here and am on an old P4 2.6GHz machine til the new machine is set up). 

Thanks for all your help.

Best regards,

Eric

Cheers,
Jim
Visitor etauch
Visitor

yes, its a 1G machine.  ADEPT chugged all night with the hour glass showing, but nothing this morning.  I did pull in the part 240T and then read the mrp map file.  I will try it again on my new machine.  If I still cant get it to run, may call the local FAE.

The option that you indicated above that wont discern between BRAM18/BRAM36/FIFO18/FIFO36 does it atleast tell you if it is 18 or 36.  I dont really care about FIFO vs BRAM, just how much of the resource is being used.

I am currently at 92% BRAM by guestimating the ratio of 18/36, so I need the right number from ISE somehow.

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
Visitor etauch
Visitor

PS: BRAM report per module (18 and 36 bit)

PS: ADEPT does give an error when it first starts to read the mrp file.  I cant rememeber the exact wording, maybe a parse error of some kind.  That may be the problem.

Regards,

Eric

0 Kudos