cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

CRITICAL WARNING: [Project 1-840]

CRITICAL WARNING: [Project 1-840] The design checkpoint file 'E:/temp/arm/xilinx_vcu118_ip/xilinx_vcu118_ip/xilinx_vcu118_ip.srcs/sources_1/ip/clk_wiz_0/clk_wiz_0.dcp' was generated for an IP by an out of context synthesis run and should not be used directly as a source in a Vivado flow. Constraints and other files related to the IP are only stored in the xci/xcix, not the checkpoint. It is strongly recommended that that the original IP source file (.xci/.xcix) be used.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Hey @m006,

Please do that, otherwise the tools will be very angry! :)

Best,

Herbert

-------------- Yes, I do this for fun!
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@m006,

It is not recommended to reference IP by DCP file hence the Critical warning. You should always use xci file.

Please check "Recommended" at page 46 in below User guide:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_3/ug896-vivado-ip.pdf

Also check this AR:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69690.html

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

If, for any reason, I need to modify the output files (for example, The pinout constraints) of a generated IP core, should I then add a generated DCP file or add the XCI/ XXCIX file?

Editing the generated files of an IP core should not be a common flow. However, there are some cases (generally related to editing the IP core constraints) where this might be needed. The XCI or XCIX file should still be used as the source in this situation. 

The work-around for modifying IP constraints is to disable them in the project and then write whatever they need to override at the top level as a user XDC.

You can select the IP core XDC, right mouse click and select disable. This will also issue the Tcl command to disable the file, which can be used in a scripted flow if needed. If a user modifies the output files of an IP core, they will need to generate the OOC DCP of the IP core.

After creating the DCP they should still use the IP core XCI file to correctly point to all the IP core files (Including the DCP).

------do i need regenerate an new dcp file if i modify the  pinout constraints?

------where will coregen select the new modify constraints file to generate an new DCP?

0 Kudos