UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor robby
Visitor

DONT_TOUCH, ASYNC_REG and falling edge flip-flop

Jump to solution

Hi,

I use Vivado 2016.2 and I put objet properties in a XDC constraint file (i don't want to modify the existing code).

In my design, I specify a lot of synchronizers by using the ASYNC_REG = TRUE property on both synchronizer flip-flops (FF).

Several synchronizers have a large fanout so the second FF is duplicated by Vivado.

In order to prevent these duplications, I also set the DONT_TOUCH = TRUE property on both synchronizer FF.

But now, Vivado adds a NOT LUT for the FFs that are driven by my clock falling edge...

Could you confirm that the ASYNC_REG property do not prevent Vivado to duplicate the FF ?

For the falling edge driven FFs, how should I constraint my design (I would like ASYNC_REG = TRUE, no duplication and a clock inverted FF) ?

I don't want to completely disable the tool duplications because it is useful in my design in other cases.

Best regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: DONT_TOUCH, ASYNC_REG and falling edge flip-flop

Jump to solution

HI @robby

Instead of applying dont_touch , which prevents the tool from doing other essential stuff.

I suggest you apply MAX_FANOUT attribute on the signal driven the second FF and set it to very high value.
(note: this might in turn lead to timing violations due to high net delays)

MAX_FANOUT instructs Vivado synthesis on the fanout limits for registers and signals. You can specify this either in RTL pr XDC. The value is an integer. This attribute only works on registers and combinatorial signals.  Applying this in RTL is the  best way.

verilog and VHDL  usage examples are in page 55 of UG901
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_2/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI @robby

Instead of applying dont_touch , which prevents the tool from doing other essential stuff.

I suggest you apply MAX_FANOUT attribute on the signal driven the second FF and set it to very high value.
(note: this might in turn lead to timing violations due to high net delays)

MAX_FANOUT instructs Vivado synthesis on the fanout limits for registers and signals. You can specify this either in RTL pr XDC. The value is an integer. This attribute only works on registers and combinatorial signals.  Applying this in RTL is the  best way.

verilog and VHDL  usage examples are in page 55 of UG901
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_2/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf

Thanks
Bharath
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided addresses your query/concern.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Visitor robby
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @nagabhar

I apply MAX_FANOUT on each ASYNC_REG = TRUE FF and it works fine. Thank you.

In my example, I have a global list of my FFs, I apply ASYNC_REG on it and MAX_FANOUT on the FF output nets.

set my_ff_list {......}

set_property ASYNC_REG TRUE [get_cells $my_ff_list]

set_property MAX_FANOUT 99999 [get_nets -of_objects [get_pins -filter "direction == out" -of_objects [get_cells $my_ff_list]]]

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

HI @robby

Good to know that.
As I said , the only possible issue with this approach would be the high net delay from second FF to another endpoint in dest clock domain which is OK as long as timing is met.

All the best

Thanks
Bharath
0 Kudos