Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
surf99
Visitor
Visitor

Direct Connections

Hi,

I was trying to look for "Direct Connections" interconnect lines between CLBs (for Spartan-3E) in FPGA Editor but only found "Long", "Hex" and "Double" lines. Are "Direct Connections" also classified as "Double" lines in FPGA Editor?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ywu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

In what context when you say "Direct Connections"? All those routing resources are direct connections. The difference is how many CLBs they can reach.

@surf99 wrote:

Hi,

I was trying to look for "Direct Connections" interconnect lines between CLBs (for Spartan-3E) in FPGA Editor but only found "Long", "Hex" and "Double" lines. Are "Direct Connections" also classified as "Double" lines in FPGA Editor?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
surf99
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

There are 4 types of interconnect resources listed in Spartan-3 User Guide - Long lines, Hex lines, Double lines and Direct Connections. Direct Connections described there are the routing resources with neighboring CLBs. I can't seem to find them in FPGA Editor for Spartan-3E.

www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug331.pdf

Cheers

0 Kudos
ywu
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I see. Those are routing resources that go to ajacent CLBs. They are called OMUX in S3E (see the snapshot shot below). In some device families, they are called Sinlge, which is more clear.

ScreenHunter_11.jpg

@surf99 wrote:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

There are 4 types of interconnect resources listed in Spartan-3 User Guide - Long lines, Hex lines, Double lines and Direct Connections. Direct Connections described there are the routing resources with neighboring CLBs. I can't seem to find them in FPGA Editor for Spartan-3E.

www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug331.pdf

Cheers

Cheers,
Jim
surf99
Visitor
Visitor

I see. Thanks a lot, Jim.

0 Kudos
pixie_sunky
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi 

Can I ask what about the Direct Connections on Virtex-5 device??  Does it still have the  4 types: Long lines, Hex lines, Double lines and Direct Connections ???  I am quite curious about that.

The next question is that   can  clock signal be routed using these 4 tpes of interconnections  instead of global clock networks?? 

Many Thanks 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
eteam00
Instructor
Instructor

Can I ask what about the Direct Connections on Virtex-5 device??  Does it still have the  4 types: Long lines, Hex lines, Double lines and Direct Connections ???  I am quite curious about that.

You can always take the FPGA Editor for a spin -- it probably wouldn't take you long to figure out all these details.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
dafeldib
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I hope you can help. I have posted my question on the implementation forum more than one month ago, but got no response.

I want to force the connection between two CLBs to use Double lines, not OMUX. When I force placing the logic in two CLBs with one unused CLB in between ( in the .ucf file) and force the net connecting both to use "uselowskewlines" in the .xcf file this is not enough. When I open FPGA Editor I see the CLB's connected using portions of connections called (Doubles), but through OMUXs, and don't go directly from one CLB to the other. 

Best Wishes,

Dalia

0 Kudos