UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor 2016pev5432
Visitor

Error in Implementation of design

Jump to solution

Ihave created my own adder and multipliers, which work fine and are imlpemented indivdually.

But when they are instances in other module this error shows up when implemenating.

Please help

Place Design

[Place 30-494] The design is empty
Resolution: Check if opt_design has removed all the leaf cells of your design. Check whether you have instantiated and connected all of the top level ports.

[Common 17-69] Command failed: Placer could not place all instances

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Error in Implementation of design

Jump to solution

Are all of the inputs and outputs from your design actually connected to something (eg. I/O pins)? If not, Vivado will remove them (because there's no point including an output that doesn't drive anything, and no point including an input that has a constant value). This can very rapidly result in an empty design.

4 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

Are all of the inputs and outputs from your design actually connected to something (eg. I/O pins)? If not, Vivado will remove them (because there's no point including an output that doesn't drive anything, and no point including an input that has a constant value). This can very rapidly result in an empty design.

Visitor 2016pev5432
Visitor

Jump to solution

My top module has juat one input "clk" and no output, I have created a register to save output.

Means should I still connect them to some port?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar richardhead
Scholar

Jump to solution

With no output pins connected,  an empty chip functions exactly the same as the most complicated circuit with no outputs.  Vivado will always reduce logic equations to reduce resource usage,  and unconnected outputs is the easiest savings to make

Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

As @richardhead has said, with no input/output, there is no way that you can distinguish between a chip running your code and a blank chip. Vivado knows that, and so it just removes all your logic.

There are a couple of fixes, but the obvious one is to connect all module inputs and outputs to I/O pins.

0 Kudos