UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant eldrick
Participant

Floorplanning Failure: Consecutively Available Sites

Jump to solution

Currently trying to implement 16 512-tap long FIR filters on a ZU9EG device. Each device uses 128 DSP slices (decimate by 4).

The ZU9EG has 2520 DSP slices available and I should be utilizing 2048 of them. However, I fail synthesis during Floorplanning and receive the error I've attached below.

What exactly is the limit to the # of consecutive DSP slices/macros that can be used in the ZU9EG? Is there a way I can configure my FIRs to increase my utilization?

Phase 2.1 Floorplanning
Phase 2.1 Floorplanning | Checksum: 186c9ff7b

Time (s): cpu = 00:14:59 ; elapsed = 00:07:27 . Memory (MB): peak = 9802.258 ; gain = 0.000 ; free physical = 1702 ; free virtual = 73099
ERROR: [Place 30-365] The following macros could not be placed:
[proj]/fir_compiler_1/U0/i_synth/g_polyphase_decimation.i_polyphase_decimation/g_parallel.g_paths[0].g_non_symmetric.g_madds[0].i_madd/i_addsub_mult_add/g_dsp48.g_dsp48e2.i_dsp48e2/DSP_ALU_INST (DSP_ALU)
[proj[/fir_compiler_10/U0/i_synth/g_polyphase_decimation.i_polyphase_decimation/g_parallel.g_paths[0].g_non_symmetric.g_madds[0].i_madd/i_addsub_mult_add/g_dsp48.g_dsp48e2.i_dsp48e2/DSP_ALU_INST (DSP_ALU)
[proj]/fir_compiler_15/U0/i_synth/g_polyphase_decimation.i_polyphase_decimation/g_parallel.g_paths[0].g_non_symmetric.g_madds[0].i_madd/i_addsub_mult_add/g_dsp48.g_dsp48e2.i_dsp48e2/DSP_ALU_INST (DSP_ALU)
[proj]/fir_compiler_3/U0/i_synth/g_polyphase_decimation.i_polyphase_decimation/g_parallel.g_paths[0].g_non_symmetric.g_madds[0].i_madd/i_addsub_mult_add/g_dsp48.g_dsp48e2.i_dsp48e2/DSP_ALU_INST (DSP_ALU)
[proj]/fir_compiler_6/U0/i_synth/g_polyphase_decimation.i_polyphase_decimation/g_parallel.g_paths[0].g_non_symmetric.g_madds[0].i_madd/i_addsub_mult_add/g_dsp48.g_dsp48e2.i_dsp48e2/DSP_ALU_INST (DSP_ALU)
The total BRAM utilization is 26.04, the total DSP utilization is 650.2 and the total URAM utilization is 0
A possible reason is high utilization of BRAMs, DSPs, URAMs, or RPMs. Please check user constraints to make sure design is not over-utilized in the constraint areas (if any) keeping in mind some macros require a number of consecutively available sites

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Participant eldrick
Participant

Re: Floorplanning Failure: Consecutively Available Sites

Jump to solution

Resolved: You'll have to explicitly divide up your DSP slice columns into a custom configuration. In my case, dividing 128 slices into 4 columns of 32 worked. The synthesis tools, even under "Automatic" multi-column support mode, will not divide up your slices such that they will all fit consecutively.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Participant eldrick
Participant

Re: Floorplanning Failure: Consecutively Available Sites

Jump to solution

Resolved: You'll have to explicitly divide up your DSP slice columns into a custom configuration. In my case, dividing 128 slices into 4 columns of 32 worked. The synthesis tools, even under "Automatic" multi-column support mode, will not divide up your slices such that they will all fit consecutively.

0 Kudos