UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor carles.solaz
Visitor

Hard Macro, LUTs and power nets

Hello,

I'm trying to create a Hard Macro from a design for Spartan 6.

My design includes LUTs with different equations for the outputs O5 and O6 what means, if I didn't missunderstand, that the input A6 of the LUT must be connected to '1'.

So first I add a new slice "constant1" as shown in the following picture, with a constant '1' at the output A. The net name is "constant1_net".

2. constant1.png

Is this correct?

In second place, I remove the pins of the slice (named "qs<3>") that are connected to the power pin.

Then, I add a connection between the constant1 output pin and the of the slice that contains the LUTs.

3. inside.png

The equations for A6 and A5 are:

A6= (A6+~A6)*(~A5)

A5= 1

The DRC tools report the the following:

ERROR:PhysDesignRules:1368 - Issue with pin connections and/or configuration on block:<qs<1>_rt>:<LUT6>.  Dangling input pin. This configuration requires a signal on the input equation pins.
ERROR:PhysDesignRules:1368 - Issue with pin connections and/or configuration on block:<qs<2>_rt>:<LUT6>.  Dangling input pin. This configuration requires a signal on the input equation pins.
ERROR:PhysDesignRules:1368 - Issue with pin connections and/or configuration on block:<qs<3>_rt>:<LUT6>.  Dangling input pin. This configuration requires a signal on the input equation pins.

ERROR:PhysDesignRules:1492 - Incompatible programming for comp qs<3>. The pair of luts A5LUT and A6LUT must have a compatible equation, lower bits must be programmed the same. The A5LUT hex equation is <O5=0xFFFFFFFF> and the A6LUT hex equation is <O6=0x00FF00FF00FF00FF>.

WARNING:PhysDesignRules:1837 - Luts B5LUT and B6LUT in use in comp qs<3> with different equations without A6 pin connected to Global Logic High.
WARNING:PhysDesignRules:1837 - Luts C5LUT and C6LUT in use in comp qs<3> with different equations without A6 pin connected to Global Logic High.
WARNING:PhysDesignRules:1837 - Luts D5LUT and D6LUT in use in comp qs<3> with different equations without A6 pin connected to Global Logic High.
1 DRC errors and 6 DRC warnings.

The firt three errors and warings are due to the fact that these LUTs don't still have the constant1_net connected to A6, but what about the 4th error?

Morover, If I try to connect the other pins to the net the program crashes and exits.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Hard Macro, LUTs and power nets

I don't recommend using a hard macro for slice configurations when the configuration can more easily be done with a combination of an RPM macro and directed routing constraints.  Hard macro usage should be reserved for configurations (usually IO) that map doesn't support. 

0 Kudos
Visitor carles.solaz
Visitor

Hi bwade.

I'm designing a TDC and this is why I wanted to lock the routing with the hard Macro. I could try to lock part of the design with RPM. However, am I doing anything wrong? Or is just that the tool is not meant to be used this way. I designed a TDC for Spartan 3 in the past and was quite straight forward using Hard Macros.

Carles.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The net driven by a constant LUT will look like an active signal to DRC so I don't think it's going to acomplish what you want anyway. I assume you are doing this because hard macros don't support normal power/gnd nets. I think the only solution (besides using an RPM) is to avoid LUT combining so that ther is only one LUT per LUT complex.

0 Kudos
Visitor carles.solaz
Visitor

Hi,

Sounds good. Any trick to do that?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Visitor carles.solaz
Visitor

By the way, you are right, I am doing that to avoid power nets. I also tried something that worked fine for Spartan3: I tried to add a Hard Macro pin to all the A6 LUT pins so I could set to '1' this pin from the top level vhdl. This reported errors and the program eventually crashed.

Anyway, If I could avoid LUT combining It could be great. Is there any constraint or setting to avoid it?
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I assume that you are running some logic through a standard implementation flow and then want to convert that implementation into a hard macro. To prevent LUT combining in that initial implementation just assign a unique LUTNM property to every LUT in the design. You'll get a warning message for this use case because the tool expects to find two LUTs for each LUTNM property but I think it will work.

0 Kudos