cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

How can I leave some out ports open (floating, unconnected) in UCF?

There is an example design in Xilinx, which connects 60 GPIO pins of Zync Processing System to different pins of FPGA. I want the LED pins to be driven by a different, custom core. I can replace the LED connections from Zync PS to my core. But, Zync will still drive corresponding pins and the map will connect them to arbitrary ports of FPGA, I believe. Can I tell the mapper that this is unncecessary?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How can I leave some out ports open (floating, unconnected) in UCF?

Hi Tihhomirov,

here are the 3 possibities:

if you don't constrain all I/O ports of your toplevel design, the Xilinx tools will choose and pick a location for you.

This is potentially dangerous and not recommended.

However, you can have I/O ports and constrain them in UCF which you don't use. The Xilinx tools will then tristate these unused ports.

It will not be allowed to have I/O constraints in the UCF which do not exist in your toplevel. The tools should normally error out on these.

Best regards

Dries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if the information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented by clicking the star next to the post.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How can I leave some out ports open (floating, unconnected) in UCF?

You should consider using Vivado for new designs. It is our recommended tool for Zynq designs.

John

0 Kudos