Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

IOB=TRUE fails

Jump to solution

Hi,

I would like to know what are the requirements for using IOB=TRUE constraint on a register. I have not found any hints in the ug* documents.

I am getting warnings like this:

CRITICAL WARNING: [Place 30-73] Invalid constraint on register 'i_system_wrapper/system_i/sc_fxgen_1/U0/fxout2_reg[0]'. It has the property IOB=TRUE, but it is not driving or driven by any IO element.

WARNING: [DRC PLIO-6] Placement Constraints Check for IO constraints: Invalid constraint on register i_system_wrapper/system_i/sc_fxgen_1/U0/fxout2_reg[0]. It has the property IOB=TRUE, but it is not driving or driven by any IO element.

The register in question is defined as 

signal fxout2 : std_logic_vector(15 downto 0);

and used for nothing else than writing to some GPIO ports (the PMOD-GPIO ports of a ZCU102). The idea is to minimize skew over the port lines by the IOB constraint.

Any advice is welcome.

Thank you, and best regards,

Erik

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

@e_heinz 

The common issue is due to not having a single net connection between IO port and flop. Check this AR which might be helpful:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/66668.html 

Check page 244 in below user guide to know syntax details with examples:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_1/ug912-vivado-properties.pdf#page=244 

Can you show us the post-synthesis connection between IO port and the flop connected to it?

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
4 Replies
Highlighted

@e_heinz 

The common issue is due to not having a single net connection between IO port and flop. Check this AR which might be helpful:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/66668.html 

Check page 244 in below user guide to know syntax details with examples:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_1/ug912-vivado-properties.pdf#page=244 

Can you show us the post-synthesis connection between IO port and the flop connected to it?

--Syed

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
Highlighted

@e_heinz 

Be sure to note from references given by syedz that IOB=TRUE can be placed on either a port or on a register.  When placed on a port, it will pull a register attached to the port into the IOB.

Cheers,
Mark

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for the valuable responses.

The problem was indeed, that the register was not directly connected to IO. I had not been aware of the fact, that the port definition of the VHDL module produces a register on it's own:

vivado.png

When I apply the IOB constraint to the port register fx_reg, everything works as expected.

Best regards,

Erik

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Erik,

I had not been aware of the fact, that the port definition of the VHDL module produces a register on it's own:
This is not entirely correct.  What's happening is the following.  When you assign a value to the port inside a VHDL clocked process then you get a register which has the name of the port.

Also, I notice that you originally tried to set IOB=TRUE on fxout2_reg(*).  That is, you thought that fxout2_reg(*) was driving the port - but it is driving the port through a LUT.  It is bad practice to drive a port from/through a LUT because you will be sending glitches out of the FPGA.  Make sure you drive ports directly from a register.

Cheers,
Mark