cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Incorrect net width in netlist

Hello, I am having an issue with a design and checking implementation I have notice that, in netlist window, the width of signals is incorrect. In my design, I have some wires declared with a width of 13. All bits of this wires are used because the wires comes from ADC and go to my control.

wire signed [12:0] adc_ir, adc_is, adc_it, adc_idc, adc_ir_conv, adc_it_conv; /*  13 bits adc */

When I check the netlist, the width of this signals is different of the width declared.

image.png

Honestly, I'm not sure if this number that I see in the netlist is corresponding with the width of the bus, but I think I'm right, but I'm not sure. can anyone explain it me? Or how I have to read the netlist? Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Re: Incorrect net width in netlist

I would suggest that your design is being optimised,
Simulate and see if the design works,

If it does, then the tools are being clever,

If not , check your code , again in simulation as its most probable you have made a mistake,
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Thanks for the answer, but design works fine and I'm sure signals uses at least 12 bits because this signals are sended to other device and I can see them. Maybe that is not the width of the signals?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

By works, do you mean in simulation ?

Its only simulation that you can check the corner cases in your design, and can look in detail at how the design is working,

Simulate, and look at those signals,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

By work, I mean the design is been tested in production, with no major bugs. Anyway, I think that I see is not that I think, because according the schematic of adc_it, only one bit goes to SENSE module? This module compute the average...

image.png

Maybe this net is splitted in several nets with different names? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

If you have not simulated the corner cases, then you are running with fingers crossed no one finds the bug in the field.

good luck with that as a strategy,
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Can you show the exact line of my posts where I say "my design is not tested"? I'm telling you that the design works correctly, if the width in netlist is correct, or is that I understand, nothing will works. Anyway, thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

I asked about testing in simulation 

you replied

"By work, I mean the design is been tested in production"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @pablo_trujillo ,

You can wor around the issue by applying DONT_TOUCH attribute on nets. For syntax please check page no.49 of below link:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_2/ug901-vivado-synthesis.pdf 

Thanks,

Raj

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hello Raj!

I used this instruction and now the signals has the correct size, but I don't understand how the module can compute the average with only one bit of this signal. I still working for understand that. Thanks!!!

Greetings

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @pablo_trujillo ,

That i am too not sure as might be coming from sytnhesis itself. For proper analysis we will be needing the test case at our end.

Till then DONT_TOUCH is valid work around.

Thanks.,

Raj

0 Kudos