UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Internal LVDS termination with bias

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm working on a PCB with an AC coupled LVDS clock input to my FPGA.

The designer forgot to connect the DC bias and termination resistors.

Can this be done internally ?

What's the XDC syntax for the resistors ?

AC_LVDS.JPG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Internal LVDS termination with bias

Jump to solution

I am just finding that unlike 7-Series, UltraScale has DQS_BIAS (pg69, UG571), which provides a DC bias of VCCO/2 to both the P and N sides of the LVDS input buffer – but only for AC-coupled LVDS in HP banks (just what you need).

set_property DQS_BIAS TRUE [get_ports <port_name>]

According to Table 1-55 of UG571, DQS_BIAS and DIFF_TERM_ADV can both be used in HP banks.

set_property DIFF_TERM_ADV TERM_100 [get_ports <port_name>]

I find no warnings that DQS_BIAS and DIFF_TERM_ADV cannot be used together.  Table 1-56 in UG571 shows some restrictions when using DQS_BIAS and EQUALIZATION.

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Jump to solution

@shaikon 

In 7-Series FPGAs, the LVDS standard is only available in HP I/O banks and requires VCCO=1.8V (UG471, ~pg91).  Although an internal 100-ohm termination can be activated for LVDS, there is no FPGA internal bias voltage (as shown in your sketch).  A method of creating the bias, VICM, for AC-coupled LVDS is shown by Figure 1-72 in UG471, which uses resistors external to the FPGA.

You might be able to use the 7-Series IO standard called DIFF_SSTL18_II_DCI to bias and receive your AC-coupled LVDS.  DIFF_SSTL18_II_DCI is available in HP I/O banks and is described nicely by Figure 1-60 in UG471, which shows that split-termination resistors internal to the FPGA can be activated to bias each LVDS line to VCCO/2.  On about pages 27-28 of UG471, DIFF_SSTL18_II_DCI and the split-termination resistors are further described.

From Table 13 in the Kintex-7 datasheet (DS182), the output specifications for LVDS are VOCM=1.000-1.425V and VODIFF=0.247-0.600V.   These specifications seem to fit nicely with the input specifications for DIFF_SSTL18_II from Table 11 of DS182: VICM=0.300-1.425V and VIDIFF=0.100V(min).

I havn’t used DIFF_SSTL18_II_DCI to receive LVDS signals – but if you're in a pinch – it may be worth considering and trying.

Mark

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I'm using a Kintex Ultrascale FPGA. Not 7 series...

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Things seem pretty much the same for 7-Series and Ultrascale.  -see Fig 1-68 in UG571 and Tables 13 and 19 in DS892.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am just finding that unlike 7-Series, UltraScale has DQS_BIAS (pg69, UG571), which provides a DC bias of VCCO/2 to both the P and N sides of the LVDS input buffer – but only for AC-coupled LVDS in HP banks (just what you need).

set_property DQS_BIAS TRUE [get_ports <port_name>]

According to Table 1-55 of UG571, DQS_BIAS and DIFF_TERM_ADV can both be used in HP banks.

set_property DIFF_TERM_ADV TERM_100 [get_ports <port_name>]

I find no warnings that DQS_BIAS and DIFF_TERM_ADV cannot be used together.  Table 1-56 in UG571 shows some restrictions when using DQS_BIAS and EQUALIZATION.

Tags (1)