Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Invalid option value '0' specified for '-jobs'

Jump to solution

I get this "Invalid option value '0' specified for '-jobs'" when running implementation on a new Ubuntu12.04 LTS machine using Vivado 2018.2. The full message is:

Starting Logic Optimization Task

Phase 1 Generate And Synthesize Debug Cores
INFO: [Chipscope 16-329] Generating Script for core instance : dbg_hub
INFO: [IP_Flow 19-3806] Processing IP xilinx.com:ip:xsdbm:3.0 for cell dbg_hub_CV.
ERROR: [IP_Flow 19-3805] Failed to generate and synthesize debug IPs.
 ERROR: [Common 17-161] Invalid option value '0' specified for '-jobs'.
ERROR: [Chipscope 16-330] Synthesis of Debug Cores has failed
Phase 1 Generate And Synthesize Debug Cores | Checksum: 9fcd9d64

Time (s): cpu = 00:00:18 ; elapsed = 00:00:32 . Memory (MB): peak = 3516.176 ; gain = 0.000 ; free physical = 47980 ; free virtual = 57544
INFO: [Common 17-83] Releasing license: Implementation
26 Infos, 158 Warnings, 58 Critical Warnings and 3 Errors encountered.
opt_design failed
ERROR: [Chipscope 16-338] Implementing debug Cores failed due to earlier errors

I've not seen this error before and a search turns up nothing. Running implementation with -jobs 6 doesn't help. Any thoughts on what might be going wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I installed Ubuntu 16.04.3 on our build server (It came from Dell with 16.04.5) and am happy to say that the jobs value of 0 is now gone. I was also getting an out of memory crash when trying to open a synthesized design and now that is gone as well. I'm not thrilled about having to use older software to get Vivado to work, but I can live with it.

Thanks to marcb for sticking with me through the troubleshooting and helping track down the root cause.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @melizas,

First thing first, upgarde your OS to Ubuntu Linux 16.04.3 LTS (64-bit). You are using an unsupported OS for Vivado 2018.2. And then do impl. again. 

Also try to follow this AR if the issue still persists. https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/60856.html

This may help you. 

Regards,

hemangd

If your issue has been resolved, than please mark this post as accepted solution. 

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for the information. I did something that must have triggered a clearing of the cache because I was able to get a subsequent build to pass last night. Also thanks for the OS version info,it turns out it is 16.04 LTS after all.

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Now that I've had some more time to work on our Ubuntu build server I've discovered that the problem wasn't actually fixed with "check_ip_cache -clear_output_repo" as suggested by AR#60856. I had removed the ILAs from the design as well which made it look like the issue had been resolved.

We do not get this error on Windows10 machines when running interactively or in batch mode. We do see it on the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server with both interactive and batch jobs.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on how to resolve this error?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @melizas. I do not see a reported issue that looks to fit this description. Would suggest posting the reproducible design or DCP. I can also send a private message to set up a file transfer if this is preferred.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted

@melizas

Any update on this topic? The forum thread is open and waiting for your response. 

--Syed

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Yes, I sent marcb a PM late yesterday. I've got a working test case ready without any of my company's IP in it that I just need to know how to get it to XIlinx.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I have been working offline with marcb to debug this issue, including sending him a test case. He does not have any trouble running the test case on Ubuntu 12.04.3. Since our computer came from Dell with Ubuntu 12.04.5 it is possible that this version difference is the cause of the problem. I will report back after I have had a chance to test this out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I installed Ubuntu 16.04.3 on our build server (It came from Dell with 16.04.5) and am happy to say that the jobs value of 0 is now gone. I was also getting an out of memory crash when trying to open a synthesized design and now that is gone as well. I'm not thrilled about having to use older software to get Vivado to work, but I can live with it.

Thanks to marcb for sticking with me through the troubleshooting and helping track down the root cause.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos