cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

MAP process stops with option "global optimization" enabled

Global Optimization does not work in my design, while it compiles and work w/o this option.

When allowing "global optimization" in MAP, the Implementation process stops with :

ERROR:ConstraintSystem:300 - In file: topdesign.pcf(360): Syntax error at or before 'K': 'K' is not a valid constraint
   type.
ERROR:Par:51 - The .pcf file contains errors.  PAR cannot proceed.

Somebody having the same?

I discovered total crashes with the g.o. option in former ISE and stopped using this.
(a webcase is pending).

Now, after having started with 14.2, I tried this again but there still seem to be problems.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

Did you look into the .pcf file to see if there is something obviously wrong with line 360?

Perhaps you could post it here.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This is likely a known issue where global opt can cause incorrect syntax to be written to the PCF file. The work around is too disable global opt or manually fix the PCF file
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This problem occurs when the -global_opt option is turned on during MAP. It appears that invalid characters are written to the physical constraints file (.pcf) at the end of MAP.

This issue will not be fixed as the -global_opt option is being deprecated and will not be available to use for the newer devices or next generation tools.

The following options can be used as possible workarounds:

1. Turn off the global_opt option before running MAP.
  2. Edit the .pcf file after MAP and before PAR and correct the constraint syntax at the line specified in error message.
  3. This issue has not been seen on Linux and is supposed to have occurred only on windows OS. Use Linux OS as an alternate optio
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

I wonder, what g.o. in fact does. Is it right assuming that it only overrides other settings?

Or is it an additional directive?

> switching to Linux

Not so easy, if the companies tell us engineers which HW and SW infrastructure to use. :-)

0 Kudos