Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Make MAP use dedicated hardware from behavioral code

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've written a 32 bit synchronous adder in VHDL with behavioral description. I'm implementing the design for a Spartan-6, and I would like to use the DSP48A1 slice instead of general logics. After synthesis, I see a 32 bit asynchronous adder and a 32 bit register. After implementation, I get only LUTs instead of a DSP slice. Someone told me there is a guide about writing such code that the tools will recognize as dedicated hardware. I'm speaking about behavioural description, I know it can be also done with structural description with instantiation template.

Thank you for your help,

Václav

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Make MAP use dedicated hardware from behavioral code

Jump to solution

Hi,

You can use USE_DSP48 attribute in HDL to force implementation of logic on to DSP.

Refer to page-443 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_2/xst_v6s6.pdf for details on constraint usage.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

You can use USE_DSP48 attribute in HDL to force implementation of logic on to DSP.

Refer to page-443 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_2/xst_v6s6.pdf for details on constraint usage.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thank you very much, it works. I added within the entity declaration:

attribute use_dsp48 : string;
    attribute use_dsp48 of Adder : entity is "yes";

The only thing I don't understand is why is the DSP slice implementation slower than the LUT implementation? I thought dedicated hardware would be always faster than general logics.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@vaclav wrote:

The only thing I don't understand is why is the DSP slice implementation slower than the LUT implementation? I thought dedicated hardware would be always faster than general logics.

Perhaps it's the routing into the adder that's the slow part. Make sure the adder input is registed.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

I made the output registered and not the input. I want a single cycle adder, so I can't have both.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@vaclav wrote:

I made the output registered and not the input. I want a single cycle adder, so I can't have both.

remember how the timing analyzer calculates the period. It's from one register's Q output, through whatever logic, to the next register's D input. If there is "stuff" before your inputs hit the adder's inputs, that "stuff" adds to the prop delay.

Your choices include pipelining, accepting the reduced operating frequency, and accepting the latency.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos