UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer sachinb_apt1
Observer

Max Fanout ignored by Vivado

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am using vivado 2017.3 for VU9P device as my target. For a critical timing path, i applied a max fanout constraint (of 21) to one of the nets.

However, i see that the fanout on that net is high as it was before applying the constraint. I see the properties section for the net and i noticed that the MAX FANOUT attribute is still what i  set in the Max FO constraint (i.e 21), however, Flat pin count number number for that net is 253.

I dont understand why the flat pin count is so high compared to the max fanout constraint. I expected it to be 22 (fanout of 21 plus 1 driver pin).

See the picture attached.

max fanout issue.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer sachinb_apt1
Observer

Re: Max Fanout ignored by Vivado

Jump to solution

I think i got the problem. In my constraint, i had the filter REF_NAME =~ "*FD*". Probably that was the reason. Since i removed the fanout has come down (but not to the level of constarint) but atleast the get_cells is not ignored during synthesis now.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Observer sachinb_apt1
Observer

Jump to solution
The driver of the net is a FF. So i dont see any reason why tool couldnt have replicated it and reduced the fan out on the net.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@sachinb_apt1

Implementation (placer) appears to have difficulty with MAX_FANOUT.  As shown in <this> post, a CR was filed in July 2018 by syedz to correct this.

Cheers,
Mark

0 Kudos
Observer sachinb_apt1
Observer

Jump to solution

The problem is with tools handling of max_fanout constraint right from begining

So when i give the max_fanout using get_nets -of_objects [get_pins -of_objects [get_cells <my_design_hierarchial-path>/* -filter {REF_NAME =~ "*FD*"}] -filter {DIRECTION == OUT}]] , in constraints file during synthesis, the synthesis tool ignores the constraint saying that it could not find the cells (get_cells fails). The get_cells however works in postsynth.dcp where it returns the cells.

Since Synthesis fails with get_cells, i put them in seperated xdc file and use it in implementation phase (used_in = implementation). So it accepts the max_fanout but doesnt apply it. The snapshot i attached was from post_opt dcp. Despite MAX_FANOUT on net clearly visible as 21, the flat pin count is 253.

So basically i am stuck... Synthesis cannot find the cells and post synthesis the constraint isnt applied.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

MAX_FANOUT affects synthesis step.

If the specified cells are within OOC IP, it's not seen by the tool in top level synthesis as the IP is treated as black box. When you open the synthesized design, the IP netlist is linked and the cell is returned.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Observer sachinb_apt1
Observer

Jump to solution

I think i got the problem. In my constraint, i had the filter REF_NAME =~ "*FD*". Probably that was the reason. Since i removed the fanout has come down (but not to the level of constarint) but atleast the get_cells is not ignored during synthesis now.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@sachinb_apt1

If you have no futher query and if your query is resolved, Can you please close this thread by marking the helpful post as "Accept as Solution"

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos