UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant alexisgrytalms
Participant

My logic is scattered without any reason and doesn't meet timing.

I'm instanciating 4 GTYs and they are linked two by two.

1. topleft X0Y10, X0Y11: correctly placed and routed, meet timing

2. bottom X0Y7, X0Y8: scattered far from the GTY's locations, can't meet timing

image.png

By setting a pBlock region close to the GTYs, the placement is correct and I can meet timing easily.

My question is why do I need to use pBlock to constrain a so easy situation?

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: My logic is scattered without any reason and doesn't meet timing.

@alexisgrytalms 

Did you try different placer directives? Can you share the post opt dcp file which has pblock?

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Which Vivado release are you using?

Vivado placer has special rules for BUFG_GT load placement based on its fanout. It is possible that this mechanism did not kick in for some of the clocks if fanout is higher than a predetermined limit, in which case the loads can move anywhere in the device. Usually, timing will help guiding the solution but in your case, it does not seem to be able to do that. Are there other physical constraints? Is the GT logic interacting with some regular IOs?

Please share a post-place report_clock_utilization report if the DCP cannot be shared.

0 Kudos
Participant

Thank you for your help.

I'm using 2019.1 with vu37p.

I haven't tried a different placer directives. (just different implementation using phy_opt that didn't solve the problem)

It seems the problem is due to the SLR crossing. Both transceivers are in a different SLR and somehow Vivado doesn't know how to place correctly. We can clearly see the "mirror" of the logic.Adding a pblock forces vivado to place the logic in one SLR rather than spread over.

I believe  I'll have to kinda manually interact everytime an SLR crossing happens.

I was more curious of the reason why Vivado can't behave correctly here for a simple desogn rather than a real problem.

0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Just to chime in, in general, SLR crossings are tricky, and need to be handled carefully by the user, and it is best to consider SLRs vis a vis your logic before a pinout is selected and a board is fabricated.  This is covered in the ultrafast design methodology.  If you already have a board designed and PCB fab'd and assembled, it may be too late for you to make it easy on yourself and the tools, but I am posting this for the benefit of others who may come across this post before it is too late.  I think you are correct though that in this situation you may have to manually take measures to help the tool meet timing.

@alexisgrytalms wrote:

Thank you for your help.

I'm using 2019.1 with vu37p.

I haven't tried a different placer directives. (just different implementation using phy_opt that didn't solve the problem)

It seems the problem is due to the SLR crossing. Both transceivers are in a different SLR and somehow Vivado doesn't know how to place correctly. We can clearly see the "mirror" of the logic.Adding a pblock forces vivado to place the logic in one SLR rather than spread over.

I believe  I'll have to kinda manually interact everytime an SLR crossing happens.

I was more curious of the reason why Vivado can't behave correctly here for a simple desogn rather than a real problem.

Mike
0 Kudos
Participant

Exactly, I'm new in ultrascale+ and I'm using the vcu128 Xilinx evaluation board (vu37p). 3 QSFPs are located in SLR2 and 1 QSFP is located in SLR1..

0 Kudos
Participant

@frederi @syedz  I'm still curious, here is the clock report, there is nothing secret, I'm almost only using Xilinx's 10/25G IP core.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Thanks for sharing the report. This confirms there are no additional constraints at play, and the clock nets fanout are low enough to trigger GT IP special placement. What's preventing optimal placement is the fact that the lower pair of GTYs are placed across the SLR boundary, in which case the generic placement strategy applies. The design should still meet timing though, unless the IPs don't have sufficient pipelining. Could you please share this example design since it is made of Xilinx IPs? Post-opt DCP is ok, or IPI bd file would work too (write_bd_tcl)?

Thanks!

0 Kudos