UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

[Place 30-120] Sub-optimal placement for a BUFG-BUFG cascade pair.

Jump to solution

I am using Ac701 and  vivado 2014.2.

I have connection like

100 MHZ clock from MIG IP --> MMCM --> BUFG -- IDLEAYCTRL

While implementing design i get error

[Place 30-120] Sub-optimal placement for a BUFG-BUFG cascade pair. If this sub optimal condition is acceptable for this design, you may use the CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE constraint in the .xdc file to demote this message to a WARNING. However, the use of this override is highly discouraged. These examples can be used directly in the .xdc file to override this clock rule.
    < set_property CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE FALSE [get_nets eth_200_clk/inst/eth_clk_200] >

eth_200_clk/inst/clkout1_buf (BUFG.O) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y15
     bufg_200_mhz (BUFG.I) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y0
     trimode_eth_mac/example_clocks/bufg_clkin1 (BUFGCTRL.I0) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y13

The above error could possibly be related to other connected instances. Following is a list of
    all the related clock rules and their respective instances.

Clock Rule: rule_mmcm_bufg
    Rule Description: An MMCM driving a BUFG must be placed on the same half side (top/bottom) of the device
     eth_200_clk/inst/mmcm_adv_inst (MMCME2_ADV.CLKFBOUT) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on MMCME2_ADV_X0Y2
     eth_200_clk/inst/clkf_buf (BUFG.I) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y12

Clock Rule: rule_mmcm_bufg
    Rule Description: An MMCM driving a BUFG must be placed on the same half side (top/bottom) of the device
     eth_200_clk/inst/mmcm_adv_inst (MMCME2_ADV.CLKOUT0) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on MMCME2_ADV_X0Y2
     and eth_200_clk/inst/clkout1_buf (BUFG.I) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y15

My question is :

Why it tool is assigning BUFG instead of MMCM?

Untitled1.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: [Place 30-120] Sub-optimal placement for a BUFG-BUFG cascade pair.

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you open synthesized design and run below command in TCL console?

show_objects -name find_1 [get_cells -hierarchical -filter { NAME =~  "*eth_200_clk/inst/clkout1_buf*" } ]

If this returns any cells, right click and select schematic. let me know if you see BUFG here.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
11 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

The error says that there are two cascaded BUFG instances in the design which are not placed in adjacent sites (in same half of the device).

I didnot get your query. Are you asking why is the tool inserting second BUFG on this path?

Why it tool is assigning BUFG instead of MMCM?

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

in the lines at end  eth_200_clk/inst/clkout1_buf (BUFG.O)  is detected as BUFG but it is MMCM (as shown in attached diagram).

This is my question that why tool has recognized MMCM as BUFG?

eth_200_clk/inst/clkout1_buf (BUFG.O) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y15
bufg_200_mhz (BUFG.I) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y0
trimode_eth_mac/example_clocks/bufg_clkin1 (BUFGCTRL.I0) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y13

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you open synthesized design and run below command in TCL console?

show_objects -name find_1 [get_cells -hierarchical -filter { NAME =~  "*eth_200_clk/inst/clkout1_buf*" } ]

If this returns any cells, right click and select schematic. let me know if you see BUFG here.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

here is the result.

Untitled2.png
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

This confirms that the error is correct. eth_200_clk/inst/clkout1_buf is BUFG. This is not MMCM.

Check the connectivity of this BUFG (click on O and I pins) and attach another snapshot showing how many BUFG's are cascaded to this BUFG.

Thanks,

Deepika. 

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Yes.. Now I see 2 BUFGs cascaded. Can i safely remove bufg_200_mhz and give output of MMCM to IDELAYCTRL?

Untitled2.png
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, I think this BUFG can be removed as the driver is already another BUFG.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

thanks for helping me detect this hidden bufg :)

0 Kudos
Visitor jangobin
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

I encountered a similar issue.

In my case however I can not remove the BUFGCE as it is needed to implement clockgating.

When I run an implementation with another version of this design (with exactly the same clockgating strategy) I do not see the issue.

What can I do?

[Place 30-120] Sub-optimal placement for a BUFG-BUFG cascade pair. If this sub optimal condition is acceptable for this design, you may use the CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE constraint in the .xdc file to demote this message to a WARNING. However, the use of this override is highly discouraged. These examples can be used directly in the .xdc file to override this clock rule.
    < set_property CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE FALSE [get_nets VIVADO_WRAPPER/design_1_i/clk_wiz_0/U0/clk_out1] >

Regards,

Jan

BufG.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor gbg1981
Visitor

Jump to solution

I came across the same problem that 'jangobin'.  Is there any solution instead of typing a CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE FALSE  ¿?

Thanks!.

0 Kudos
Visitor rpandey
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

I resolved this issue by having the outputs of the MMCM drive BUFH instead of BUFG (attached a snapshot). 

I tried the "No buffer " option also but, it would cause my MMCM lock to be low all the time - it would never get a lock signal.

--- Rajiv

mmcm_outputs_drive.jpg