UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor kirito0816
Visitor

[Place 30-484] The packing of lutram instances into lutram capable slices could not be obeyed. (with NO RLDRAM3 IN DESIGN)

Hello,

I meet this problem recently in Vivado 2016.4:

[Place 30-484] The packing of lutram instances into lutram capable slices could not be obeyed.

Number of LUTRAMs: 5299
Number of LUTRAM capable slices required is 1552 out of 73980 in the device (utilization 2.09786%)

Even though there is a sufficient number of LUTRAM capable slices in the device, the packing algorithm was not able to find a solution. Please analyze your design to determine if the number of LUTRAMs can be reduced.

As a result, 1 LUTRAMs failed to place.
Names of these LUTRAMs:
u_ila_0/inst/ila_core_inst/shifted_data_in_reg[7][656]_srl8 type SRL16E

The mentioned LUTRAMs are constrained as below: (listing maximum of 20 LUTRAMs per constraint)
An interal area constraint:
u_ila_0/inst/ila_core_inst/shifted_data_in_reg[7][656]_srl8

Number of LUTRAM capable slices required* by this constraint: 164
Number of LUTRAM capable slices available in this constraint region: 24660
Utilization = 0%

* - The number of LUTRAM capable slices required is computed under assumption that the LUTRAMs can be perfectly packed in the constrained region. Also, each LUTRAM may be a macro containing multiple LUTRAM instances.

Resolution: Please analyze your design to determine if the number of lutrams can be reduced by combining multiple lutrams into Block RAMs for example.

Then I find the solution of this site: "https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/66589.html". I did not use any RLDRAM3 but I tried it anyway. The only MIG module in my design is DDR4. So I follow the solution and draw a pblock on DDR4. There is still an error.

I have 1 PCIE core, 1 axi_clock_converter, 1 DDR4 and 1 FIFO using BRAM in my design. When I add a debug core, there comes out this problem. I don't know how can I find the related information about the LUTRAM fail to be placed: "u_ila_0/inst/ila_core_inst/shifted_data_in_reg[7][656]_srl8 type SRL16E". Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: [Place 30-484] The packing of lutram instances into lutram capable slices could not be obeyed. (with NO RLDRAM3 IN DESIGN)

@kirito0816

Is it possible for you to try in the latest 2018.2 with different implementation strategies? Can you share the post opt dcp file located at <project>/<project>.runs/impl_1/***_opt.dcp?

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor kirito0816
Visitor

Re: [Place 30-484] The packing of lutram instances into lutram capable slices could not be obeyed. (with NO RLDRAM3 IN DESIGN)

Thank you for your response. I did not try it in 2018.2. But I find a result that once I use the mark debug to add the "inout" type signal in VHDL, I will get this problem. And It shows that the file is too big to be uploaded.

0 Kudos
Visitor sacatak
Visitor

Dear kirto0816,

I've exactly the same problem ( I use Vivado 2017.4) and I don't really understand the message seen that the design is very small.

Do you have fund a fix for that?

The error message that I have is:

ERROR: [Place 30-484] The packing of lutram instances into lutram capable slices could not be obeyed.

Number of LUTRAMs: 30196
Number of LUTRAM capable slices required is 7943 out of 43550 in the device (utilization 18.2388%)

Even though there is a sufficient number of LUTRAM capable slices in the device, the packing algorithm was not able to find a solution. Please analyze your design to determine if the number of LUTRAMs can be reduced.

As a result, 20 or more LUTRAMs failed to place.
Names of the first 20 LUTRAMs:
C_TOP_TIGER_FPGA/C_DAQ_VIRTUAL_FIFO/C_AXIS_PDW_CLOCK_CONVERTER_16B/inst/gen_fifo_gen_ck_conv.axis_data_fifo_0/gen_fifo_generator.fifo_generator_inst/inst_fifo_gen/gaxis_fifo.gaxisf.axisf/grf.rf/gntv_or_sync_fifo.mem/gdm.dm_gen.dm/RAM_reg_0_31_0_5 type RAM32M16
C_TOP_TIGER_FPGA/C_DAQ_VIRTUAL_FIFO/C_AXIS_PDW_CLOCK_CONVERTER_16B/inst/gen_fifo_gen_ck_conv.axis_data_fifo_0/gen_fifo_generator.fifo_generator_inst/inst_fifo_gen/gaxis_fifo.gaxisf.axisf/grf.rf/gntv_or_sync_fifo.mem/gdm.dm_gen.dm/RAM_reg_0_31_0_5 type RAM32M16
--
C_TOP_TIGER_FPGA/C_DAQ_VIRTUAL_FIFO/C_AXIS_PDW_CLOCK_CONVERTER_16B/inst/gen_fifo_gen_ck_conv.axis_data_fifo_0/gen_fifo_generator.fifo_generator_inst/inst_fifo_gen/gaxis_fifo.gaxisf.axisf/grf.rf/gntv_or_sync_fifo.mem/gdm.dm_gen.dm/RAM_reg_0_31_6_11 type RAM32M16
C_TOP_TIGER_FPGA/C_DAQ_VIRTUAL_FIFO/C_AXIS_PDW_CLOCK_CONVERTER_16B/inst/gen_fifo_gen_ck_conv.axis_data_fifo_0/gen_fifo_generator.fifo_generator_inst/inst_fifo_gen/gaxis_fifo.gaxisf.axisf/grf.rf/gntv_or_sync_fifo.mem/gdm.dm_gen.dm/RAM_reg_0_31_6_11 type RAM32M16

None of mentioned LUTRAMs is from any Pblock.

Resolution: Please analyze your design to determine if the number of lutrams can be reduced by combining multiple lutrams into Block RAMs for example.
ERROR: [Place 30-99] Placer failed with error: 'Could not place all lutrams'
Please review all ERROR, CRITICAL WARNING, and WARNING messages during placement to understand the cause for failure.
Ending Placer Task | Checksum: 1ee33ee8

0 Kudos
Visitor sacatak
Visitor

I answer to myself.

I fix the problem by driving an unusued internal inout signal by 'Z' instead of '0'.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @kirito0816.

If you follow the D pin of the SRL in the error, does this net have more than one driver? If yes, this would be causing the failure. What is happening is that the MARK_DBUG property prevents optmization. When hierarchies connected to the ILA contain INOUT ports, the hierarchy port is counted as a driver, even though it is not a leaf cell. Removing the multiple drivers will remove the placement error.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos