Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

[Place 30-99] Placer failed with error: 'Failed to commit FFs'

This is the full messages: 

[Place 30-99] Placer failed with error: 'Failed to commit FFs'
Please review all ERROR, CRITICAL WARNING, and WARNING messages during placement to understand the cause for failure.

I don't understand why I am getting this error on compile. There are no additional errors, the critical warnings have not changed from my previous build, and there are about 5717 Warning messages. 

This error is very vague and I cannot get any information from it. What does it mean?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @cpagravel,

Did you check runme.log file present in synth_1 and impl_1 folder to see if you can get some clue about these errors? Can you share these files here?

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/7-Series-FPGAs/Place-30-99-Errors-in-Place-Design/td-p/339013
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I did not check those files. I will look at them now. Here they are attached.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I think this is unrelated. My design has nothing wrong with the BUFG usage. I got a successful build, and then made some very minor changes and it failed this time around.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @cpagravel,

I have seen this issue while migrating from ISE to Vivado.

If so please verify if LOCK_PINS property is set on the FF.

Also see if there are any location constraints set which may not allow this FF to place.

If possible please try once in latest version of the tool.

Thanks,
Arpan
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi @arnpansur,

I am using Vivado 2016.2. I am particularly confused about this because I had produced a successful build yesterday, but after removing some unused signals, the build failled. I thought Vivado had no randomness in the success of its builds. Perhaps, I overlooked something though.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@cpagravel

Can you recheck if the signals removed are unused signals only? Unless the design files are changes it is expected from vivado to always show consistent and same results. 

Is it possible to share the post opt dcp file?

Regards,

Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos