Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eaj8181
Visitor
Visitor

Place & Route blowing away UltraRAMs

Greetings,

I have a pretty large design at my current job that implements UltraRAMs in a signal processing chain. When I get through synthesis, it shows the correct amount of UltraRAMs being utilized. However, when the tool builds the synthesized netlist, it blows away a good portion of the RAM interface for one portion of my signal chain. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Screenshot 2020-12-01 123807.png
0 Kudos
10 Replies
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Vivado implementation likely has opt_design phase as is_enabled by default. This does some optimizations which might be removing your logic.

More details:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/58616.html (Vivado - Debugging opt_design trimming)

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/53845.html (Vivado Implementation - Is there a switch in Vivado that can be used to prevent trimming of unconnected logic?)

You could also try disabling opt_design in your implementation settings temporarily to confirm this.

Cheers,

bt

0 Kudos
eaj8181
Visitor
Visitor

Hi barriet,

Per your advice I disabled optimization and it failed to place. Any other suggestions?

Screenshot 2020-12-03 061600.png

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

may be silly question, but have you simulated this ?
It sounds like the part of the ram that's is optimised away is because the tools recon its not needed,
<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
eaj8181
Visitor
Visitor

Hi drjohnsmith,

Not a silly question at all. Yes I did simulate it. There are 64 adc channels in my design which all talk to their own ultrarams. I use a generate loop to instantiate the same component N-times. Sim looks great, as does the synth netlist. It's just P&R that decides that I don't need them...?

0 Kudos
joancab
Teacher
Teacher

What makes you think P&R is doing something wrong by discarding ultraram?

0 Kudos
barriet
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It is possible opt_design is removing these if they are part of a OOC synthesis netlist but aren't used in the context of the larger design during implementation (e.g. no logic loads on the outputs or not further used downstream).

I'd recommend:

-making sure they look ok in the synthesized netlist

-turn opt_design back on and look for applicable messaging on why to help narrow this down (see AR58616 above).

Cheers,

bt

eaj8181
Visitor
Visitor

Hi joancab,

When I inspect the individual components with RAM signals (address / data / etc), they become n/c after P&R. They are connected after synthesis on the schematic when I hit the F4 key.

0 Kudos
joancab
Teacher
Teacher

The question still holds, does that produce a concrete problem we can help with? otherwise we are just discussing on philosophical grounds whether that ultraram should or shouldn't be there. To me, something is needed (therefore it's a problem to take it out) when things don't work as expected without that thing.

0 Kudos
eaj8181
Visitor
Visitor

Hi joancab, 

Fair point. I should elaborate. Yes logically each channel needs to access their own RAMs individually as logically they are allowed to behave independently across all channels (IE: channels 0 - 15 all read their own UltraRAMs at the same time when commanded, and there is no time sharing).

So functionally yes they need to be there. I don't believe this is a case where the tool discovered that the logic implementation could be optimized down to a single channel, more it decided "I see you have these channels here, let me just remove all but the first one."

0 Kudos
joancab
Teacher
Teacher

My next logical questions would be "is a bitstream generated?", "does it run as expected?", "is data correct?"

In the absence of a practical approach, I would be interested in knowing how is that memory inferred and interfaced? What if only one channel is used?

0 Kudos